Corn growing question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by zealot, May 8, 2006.

1. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Just after I finished an article about illegal immigration on my brand new blog ( at www.standup4truth.blogspot.com ) yesterday, it really hit home.

We don't have a lawn mower yet, so we had to get someone to get it done. They brought a Mexican immigrant (an FOB) to cut the grass, and he also cut down half of a small cornfield that was next to the grass. It was clearly marked but he deliberately went in the walk-in opening, possibly with quasi-political malicious intent. Now the young maize plants (cornstalks) were about 6 in. (15cm) tall, and they were mowed down to 3 in. by the doggone push mower. About half of their height.
    My question is: will the corn be able to regrow after this? If so, how much time has been lost in the growing process of the corn?

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

prolly knocked 2 weeks off it

3. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

I don't know if the corn will grow back or not.

But it is not too late to replant corn; as a matter of fact, I will not plant my corn until May 10'th (first recommended day under the "moon plan").

I have planted corn as late as mid-June here in Zone 7, and have not had problems.

4. Kith and Kin

Kith and Kin Active Member

Since you asked about corn. How many plants do you need so that they get pollenated correctly? :shrug:
    How many were not cut?

5. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks for the planting date...and there are plenty left for pollination.

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Checked out your blog. I just fired off six different faxes and filled out a questionaire about illegal immigrants to my senators and congressman yesterday. One to the White house too.
    http://www.numbersusa.com
    Your corn should come back and will be in pollen a little later than the rest.