Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
gita.....the biggest problem with cross pollination is the affect on seed saving. When I am not involved in seed saving I examine the times to maturity of the different varieties and be sure to not plant a super sweet next to an ordinary type that is going to be tassling at the same time. When seed saving I take distance and tassling times into consideration.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
"Do you mean I can plant different types next to each other as long as they're not tasseling at the same time? If so, how far apart timewise should I plant - 2 weeks?"

Yes, you can plant different types next to each other as long as they are not tasseling at the same time. Corn is pollinated by the pollen in the tassels falling onto the silk. You just don't want the pollen of other kinds falling on the silk of others.

The second part of your question is not clear to me. Are you talking about how far apart the tasseling times should be? If so, I would go for 7-10 days to be certain.

Here in Michigan our springs are frequently cold and wet. I use to try and plant corn early to get early corn and my seed would just rot in the ground or take forever to germinate. I now plant 3 or 4 different maturation dates after I am sure that the soil is nice and warm and accomplish the same thing I was wanting.......having corn over a prolonged period of time for the table.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.