Corn Gluten Meal for weed control?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by EverGreen, Jul 5, 2006.

1. EverGreen

EverGreen New Member

Anyone have a testimony on using Corn Gluten Meal for weed control? I would love to hear from you!!

I am going to try it, this August for my severe dandelion troubles!! I really want to stay away from commercial herbicides and from what I've read, this product is a nice, natural alternative.

University of Minnesota "Extension Service", link..explains Corn Gluten Meal:
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h531cornglutenmeal.html

2. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused about why you would use it in August for dandilions. Corn gluten meal inhibits the germination of seeds. If you already have a problem with dandilions, corn gluten meal will not kill the existing plants.

We have used corn gluten meal with decent results in the spring, before the weeds take hold and establish themselves. You should also be aware that corn gluten meal will prevent most *any* seed from germinating, not just weeds. So you wouldn't want to use it in a place where you're overseeding grass.

3. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

Corn Gluten meal needs to be broadcast twice a year. Once in the fall and once in the early spring. By doing this twice a year and controlling the seed spreading weeds by hand or mower, you should have no trouble keeping your weeds down to a manageable level. It does not kill weeds - it just prevents their seeds from germinating.

Also, a healthy lawn usually keeps away most weeds on it's own. Spread a 1/4" layer of compost on it (spring and fall) and use an organic slow release fertilizer (spring and fall).

4. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

i used it in the garden with less than good results but im not totaly down on the idea i would like to try it again.

i think it would be better to put some on once a month for the garden

5. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Whereabouts would one source corn gluten meal? It's not something I've seen at the local shops...

TIA,
    Pony!

6. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

You can usually find it at an Organic gardening shop, but I have seen it as Lowes. Some feed stores may still carry it, too.

7. EverGreen

EverGreen New Member

Great Responses!

I was going to put it down in August, only because I just found out about it, I just thought to start at the earliest chance. I was also figuring that because the CGM is only a pre-emergence, that it would take a couple of years of faithfully applying it to gain some control! I found the information helpful in the extension link above.

11 years ago I purchased two acres and built a log cabin on it, and when I moved onto the property it was a howling wasteland! Over the years I have groomed and maintained it by mowing (all of it) and watering about 1/3 of it,(my lawn area is huge) but have done little to ammend the soil. Perhaps I should take amwitched advice and start building the soil instead of investing in the CGM? Makes more sense to me! What do you all think???

The cost of Corn Gluten Meal here is $29.00 per 20lb. bag.(feed store) 10 pounds will cover 1000 sq. ft. and I need to cover at least 8000. That would be approx. $116.00....twice a year!

If I were to compost twice a year versus using the CGM, I wonder if the cost would be about the same? What type of compost should I use? Can a well seasoned steer manure work as compost? Is fertilizer that much different than compost?

Thanks for all of your help, I greatly appreciate it.

8. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a friend in Albuquerque who uses CGM for foxtail grass and says it's dynamite. I got mine through an ag chemical place, who had to get it from their animal feed division (although it is labeled for pre-emergent weed control). I don't remember what it cost, unfortunately.