Corn Furnaces/Stoves

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Brandy, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Brandy

Brandy Active Member

Just curious if anyone uses and how much heat they are getting? Is it enough for a small home or just a room or so? Any info appreciated....

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Suggest doing a search on the keywords of corn stove or corn furnace. You should find a number of past threads on this topic.

3. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    There are a couple of good links on my site on corn burning:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/BioFuel/biofuels.htm

I like the "I Burn Corn" site, and it also has a forum on corn burning, and the guy who runs the site will answer email questions.

Gary
    www.BuildItSolar.com

4. Brandy

Brandy Active Member

Thanks so much! Will do!

5. Just curious, is there anyone out there experienceing a hard time finding wood pellets for their stove this year? I was talking to a BIL that uses wood pellets and he was telling me that there is a shortage of wood pellets this year and he is haveing a hard time finding a supply. Said one outfit told him that most all the sawdust is being bought up to make the artificial wood planks and being shipped to the huricane area's.

Anybody else heard anything such as this?

6. skeetshooter

skeetshooter Well-Known Member

Yes, they are a bit tight in Michigan. Pretty any place that sells them cheaper is out, like a TSC. I was able to get a half dozen bags to split up among three households for our corn stoves -- at over $5.00 a bag.

As for corn stoves, mine has 10 heat settings - 1 being low and 10 being high. I have a 1200 sq ft home plus basement. On 3 the other afternoon - I wasn't paying attention -- my living room was 77 degrees.

7. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Just curious --- why does anyone want to burn a manufactured pellet or commodity rather than 'natural' wood? TIA.

8. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

I have trouble with smoke. Pellet stoves burn at about 96% efficiency so have mush less smoke they dont even require a flue. If it werent for that I would rather have real wood myself.
    Anyone here that has a pellet/corn stove that can tell me from experiance whether you have any trouble with smoke would be apreciated.

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Well-Known Member

They ran a story on the news the other night that pellets are in short supply here, because so many people bought pellet stoves this year. Many places are completely sold out and offering by the ton instead of by the bag. People bought the stoves of course because of the high price of oil and gas. Where does one store a ton of pellets? Don't they need to stay dry? It is easier to store a ton of coal I would think.

10. Whip Hussmann

Whip Hussmann Well-Known Member

Living in Pa. I'm sure you know coal is a lot dirtier. Getting rid of the ashes is a pain. As for storing pellets , build a shed . Its probably better than storing oil. A ton of pellets don't take up as much room as a ton of split wood. I burn split wood , but I have the room and the wood.

11. mikellmikell

mikellmikell Well-Known Member

Guy at work just told me yesterday that he has spent less than 50$ on corn since the end of October. hard to get much better than that.

mikell

12. skeetshooter

skeetshooter Well-Known Member

I can't do wood smoke either. We were at a friends the other night. They have a couple of fireplaces going and immediately my nose started to run. The corn smoke, what little there is when you change the clinker, doesn't bother me at all--and I do all the maintenance on the unit.

Also, I don't feel I'm able to seek out, chop down, split and haul wood myself, as well as a decent place to store it. I don't have wood on my property. I just purchase 75# bags of corn from the feed mill which is less than a block from my house. That's why I chose corn over pellets.

13. 4sarge

4sarge Well-Known Member

I'm looking to purchase one - Good Luck for me :cowboy:

because every where I look - they are sold out with a back order. Would have ordered one earlier but just moved into this place in late October and didn't have the need before then.

Looking at Bixby, AES Magnum and Harmon.

Anyone know of other brands or dealers that have them in stock and are located in Indiana or Illinois

Thanks

14. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

Because trees are very scarce where we are. There simply aren't enough trees to burn.

Yes, many folks burn trees, but we have, on our place, 5 trees and shelter belts of cedar. That's it.

15. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I dontknow how much heat they prodce, but If I was going to buy one I would want to raise my own corn

16. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

We just filmed a demo video for a local corn stove dealer. He said that an acre of corn should heat your house for the year. Maybe a little more/less. Some depends on how many bushels per acre you get and how insulated your house is, square feet, etc.

17. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Good luck. After a lot of research we just ordered a "Baby Countryside" from AES. It's due in mid Febuary. I contacted the factory and discover that some dealers are really trying to gouge on pricing. Personally, this late in the game I would wait. A lot of the availability and pricing issues will be a lot less severe in spring or even summer. We found dealers that were quoting prices that were 25% over retail, and a lot of manufacturers we looked at had nothing available until spring.

18. 4sarge

4sarge Well-Known Member

tiogacounty

Where did you find the retail price? I have a chance at an AES Magnum in February if someone backs out on the 5 ordered but was not given a firm price but need stove + install and was told about 3000.00

Propane is expensive :grit: to say the least and I was told that our new place used much less than it really does. I could go coal but the corn stove is more appealing.

19. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

We bought our corn stove about 4 years ago. We love it. We have had some minor problems this year, but after 4 years of hard usuage, we are bound to get some problems. I live in Indiana, but we bought ours in Van Wert, Ohio (about 2.5 hours away). Can't remember the name of the company - just do a google search for Van Wert corn stoves and it will pop up. The model we have is a 'Countryside". BUT - like another poster said - buying in the spring time you may find cheaper prices. We have been very happy with the stove though....

20. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

My bro recently started to burn corn (cheaper then pellets) and his experience is that they burn just as hot/but seem to leave a lot more ash after they burn. He's using an elcheapo Menards PelletPro and has had DECENT reliabilty (hes had to clean/tear apart his stove atleast 2x).

219/ton for pellets in town or 4.50 bag.