Corn for Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TSYORK, Jun 27, 2006.

1. TSYORK

TSYORK Jhn Boy ina D Trump world

I have two Nubian Does that I got a week ago, and the older one seems have lost a little weight. She was with a large herd, so I'm wondering if it was just separation anxiety. She's eating very well now; all the leaves she can pack into her stomach....

I had about a 50-pound bag of whole shelled corn that I had left over from feeding my chickens; they would hardly touch it, so I thought HEY WASTE NOT WANT NOT.... So I gave them a couple of quarts of it tonight...

Will it hurt them? Will it cause them to bloat badly....

Give me some insight.. yawl been doing this a whole lot longer than I have.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I would go easy on the corn. Some mixed in with their grain is OK, but I would not feed just whole corn. If you need to add some weight you can try calf manna, beet pulp, & some black oil sunflower seeds.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple quarts of whole corn to two does that are not used to eating corn?? Not really a good thing. I would watch them and not give them any more. Mixing a little whole corn in with other grains or a feed mix is ok and will help to put weight on them, but a little corn goes a long way. Corn is not something you want to use a lot of.