corn for flour - now what?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by trixiwick, Aug 14, 2006.

1. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

So I grew a patch of Bloody Butcher corn this year to grind for flour, which is my first such experiment. It grew well, is incredibly tall, and now has plenty of big ears which appear to be drying out thoroughly in this drought. Do I have to wait until it's bone-dry to start grinding? Will it take me all day to scrape the kernels off the ears? Has anyone done this before? Thanks!

2. Suburbanhmstedr

Suburbanhmstedr Well-Known Member

I'm about the furthest person from an expert on this, but...

I lived briefly with a family in southern Mexico that grew and shelled their own corn for tortillas. They let the corn dry completely, then husked it, then we sat on little stools and pushed the kernels off of the cob with our thumbs. It took me a few tries to get the hang of it (much to their amusement), but it works quite well. You might want to use a dull butter knife to get it started, but once you have a few kernels out, it's pretty easy from there.

3. peacebaker

peacebaker Well-Known Member

I ground some bloody butcher last year for cornmeal. I did let it dry completely, as I used it for fall decorations first! :)

It wasn't too difficult to strip the kernals, and i just used my hands (the thumb method just like Suburbanhmstedr described) . I only had 4 or 5 cobs though, so a tool might be better if you had a lot. I also did some small-kernaled popcorn at the same time, and by the end of the afternoon my hands were pretty sore.

It made lovely smelling cornmeal, which I turned into cornbread--yum!

This year I'm trying the hopi blue!