Corn Fodder

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by MARSHALL, Oct 7, 2005.

1. MARSHALL

MARSHALL Member

What Are Your Thoughts On Corn Fodder. Is It Worth The Time And Effort? Would It Be Okay To Feed And Reduce The Amount Of Hay?

Thanks For Any Input.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Up until recent years nearly all stock cattle spent their days in picked corn fields eating fodder. Corn fodder has plenty of calories but is lacking in protein and minerals. If you have good quality hay to feed with it, it can reduce your feed bill considerably. If the cows are milking, it won't do much for the volume of milk. I round baled corn stalks after picking and feed it strung out on the ground each day near a woods that broke the wind for my beef cows. They would clean up over half of it and sleep on the leftovers. It kept them out of the mud and off frozen ground all winter

3. wheresdabeef

wheresdabeef Member

I usually use 10-12 rnd bales of cornstalks a yr just to offer my steers some variety/something to do! I don't think there really is much in the way of nutrition, other than roughage. They do seem to slow them down on hay somewhat, the bales I bought last year from a feller were $13 ea. picked up at his farm.

4. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

Fodder is good for them it also helps to leave a little corn on it. I would not reduce the hay but only slightly according to the rest of the quality of your pasture and diet.

5. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

I loaded a trailer with cut cornstalks to put in the pasture. The cattle loved it so much that they were eating it out of the trailer. I ended up leaving the trailer in the pasture. Next day, all the cornstalks were gone.

It was about a round bale of stalks and there were only 9 cows eating. I think they liked it!

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

If you feed straight corn fodder get some protien blocks (good ones, not the fleet farm junk).