Corn canning ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Buckrun, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

I looked all through my books and as best as I can figure this is how I did it. Is this correct or did I screw it up? :(

1. I cut the corn off the raw ears. I put it in a large stainless pan.
    2. I added enough water to cover the corn and brought it to a boil. I let it simmer for six or seven minutes.
    3. Then I put the corn in pint jars leaving 1 inch head space.
    4. I put 1/2 teaspoon of canning salt in the jars.
    5. Cooked in pressure cooker for sixty minutes.

It is now cooling down. I had enough to do 12 pints. :D

This is the first time I have used a pressure cooker. :eek:

Steve

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Sounds right to me Steve.

Now you are a pressure cooker veteran :cool:

I was so scared the first time I did the pressure canning thing. You should be hearing some little pops and pings soon that indicate that they are sealing. (that would be after the pressure all goes down and you take them out to cool)

3. Buckrun

They are all out and have poped! :dance: Thanks for the reply. :)

Next will be the pinto beans. My daughter and I picked about 1/3 of my beans this morning. I think I will can them then work on another 1/3. Picking beans is hard on my back. :waa:

Does anybody in the Lima, OH. area want any beets? I have WAY more than I can use! :eek: I have to learn how much of each crop to plant.

Next year there will be more peppers, onyons, tomatoes and corn! Less beets! My 90 ft row of okra seems about right.
    Steve

4. ohio_kid

ohio_kid Well-Known Member

Have you considered canning meats? Some of the best venison I have ever tasted was canned. The flavor was unbelievable.

5. When I can up dry beans I don't follow the pre-canning instructions in the Ball Blue Book. I just presoak to swell them up, then put in the jars with more water and a little salt. No precooking. They cook fine in the canning process. Precooking makes them mushy/gloppy.

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Buckrun, when I do pinto beans, I place about 1/3 cup of dry beans in a clean pint jar. Fill the jar with water and let them sit overnight. Drain the water and add fresh hot water to the jars, salt, red pepper flakes, etc. Then process them in the pressure canner 11 lbs for 75 minutes.
    I like doing it this way, I can fill as many jars as my canner holds (22). It's easier than cooking up a big pot of beans and finding out that you don't have room in the canner for all of them. :)

Ohio Kid's right, canned meats are nice to have on hand. They are the original "fast food". :)

7. Buckrun

I am planning on trying this, this winter. I was going to make up and can some beef stew using the venison backstraps. I usually make a bunch of venison burger and sausage then freeze it. Then I thaw out a batch make burgers, fry it on my grill then refreeze it in small (one day for lunch) packages. I take it to work and nuke it for lunch. I thought pint jars of venison stew would make a nice change.

I got 5 deer last year. I only have enough meat left for about one more batch fixed for my lunches and it will be gone. I needed to fix it a month ago and haven’t taken time to get it done. I have been buying my lunches and it is getting too expensive. :eek:

Steve

8. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I love to can venison with lots of onions.......yummy.......just dump it out and warm it up and walla......great sandwich on a bun or over mashed potatoes.