Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in zone 3, Alaska. I bought, on a lark, two small pots of "sweet corn" and stuffed them into larger pots-they are in the greenhouse. They are sending out something or other-I presume the beginnings of cobs? Now I have heard that if you have corn outside here, you basically need to put a paper bag over them because we don't get warm enough for proper germination? Can someone help me out with this? I don't get a lot of bees inside the greenhouse itself, so any tips about this appreciated.

Secondly, I have four tomato plants in my greenhouse that are sick. I know they are lacking something, but I don't know what it could be. They are planted in a Promix, sterilized steer manure, with a handful of fish meal mix. Most are doing pretty well, but these four, I am stumped. The leaves are curled upwards pretty tightly, showing the underside of the leaves. Which of course have gotten somewhat sunburned (veins look purplish). They are paler in color too?? I am trying not to use chemical fertilizers, and they have all had a shot of compost tea, so I am stumped on this one. I am sure it must be some sort of deficiency, but I don't know what it could be? The lower leaves are starting to show some darker spots, also purplish looking....maybe tobacco virus from visitors?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi, Pouncer...I'm gonna give ya what I can, though it's not much (sorry).
Corn is wind pollinated, so once you have ears with silk showing (it'll be green at first), I'd maybe turn a fan on in your GH. I've never grown corn inside, but this is intriguing to me! Maybe move the fan each day or so to change the direction of the breeze and make sure you have pollination to all the ears (kinda like how the wind changes direction in nature). The silks will turn very dark brown when the ears are pollinated and ready to pick. With your corn in the GH, you'll have an advantage over me in zone 6a, with all the Japanese beetles eating the silks!

Sorry, I'm not sure what you tom. problem is. Are you able to post a photo of a plant?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!~RM

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Stunted growth, curling leaves, and pale color can be a sign of over watering. Your tomatoes might be root bound and need a bigger pot, too.

Pale yellow leaves with purple veins is a sign of phosphorous deficiency.

Mine looked like this last year and I watered them with diluted Miracle Gro (I know, bad chemicals) and the perked right up. Bone meal is a natural source of phosphorous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts