cork flooring

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Annie in MN, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Annie in MN

Annie in MN Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any experience with residential cork flooring? I would be interested to hear anything good or bad. The energy saving aspect of it intrigues me.

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We had it in the house I grew up in. Complete PAIN IN THE ASTERISK!!!!!!!!!!

Awful.

You can't mop it. It is fragile, easily damaged.

Don't put it in.

3. 5TR-Apiary

5TR-Apiary Active Member

Not sure about residential cork flooring but one of the local stores has it and it was so pretty--black and copper colored 16" tiles laid so four square of each color are together in a patchwork pattern. It has been 18months and the floor looks ok but they are always [and I mean ALWAYS] sweeping, mopping and picking stuff up off it. I looked into the cost and it was very expensive per sq. ft but can't remember the exact price.

4. LSL

LSL Member

My experience with it has been positive. I put down 800 sqr foot of the tile form in our little house, and have been generally pleased. It sure is good insulation and cushioning over slab. If it is properly treated and sealed according to mfgs. recs, you can mop to heart's content. It is very resilient, but yes it can be gauged by sharp edges and can be dented with furniture, so protection there is good. If it is damaged, the tile of course can be replaced individually much easier than a ceramic or linoleum section. I would not recommend putting it near kitchen sinks or in the bathroom, though. Glad I went with tile in the bath, as right below my kitchen sink will need re-finishing before the rest of the floor. This may be because I used water based polyurethane due to husband's allergies, but it has really held up much better than I imagined. Generally they recommend refinishing every 5 yrs, if I recall, but care is very similar to wood floors. I am not displeased and would use it again. Color choices are neat, too. My color choice does not show dirt at all, in fact I have to be rather diligent about noticing when vacuuming and mopping is needed. I'm sure colors can help or hurt in that area. It can fade easily though in sunlight. Go for it. :)