Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
south central WI

100 a Face cord seems to be what people are asking

275 a cord for the very few people selling by the legal cord

most say a 100 a face or a truck load a current 6 or 6 1/2 foot truck box level stacked is very close to a face cord I sold a face some years ago had it on a rack 4x8x 16 inches was the stack when they came to pick it up they neatly stacked it in the entire bed and then could just get the tano cover over

I don't buy , and gave up on selling , just cut for me

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
I know face cord is crap but most people who buy wood aren't really buying it to heat they are buying it to recreate , have a fire here and there while they play music and sip coco , have camp fires , take the chill of the room , but they have the heat in the houe set to 68 all the time.

if you heat primarily with wood your buying multiple cords and then it really isn't much different than buying gas at 275 a cord for mixed hardwoods.

I heat mostly with wood , I cut , split and stack my own

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Face cord (4'x8'x16" to 18") around here goes from $65 to $95, cost depends on delivery (or not) and if it's mixed hard wood or all one type.
Couldn't find a price for a full cord although had one logger willing to sell me a load of logs for $875 - 16 face cord minimum.
Me, I cut, split, and stack roughly 6+ full cord from my woods for my own use only worrying bout the cost of gas & oil, and a new chain or two.....:)

·
Registered
16,030 Posts
Just under $200 for seasoned hardwood (oak, hickory)
Unseasoned mixed woods (pine, oak, whatever) is about $175.

I think the price has remained about where it was last year; the inflation is in delivery. Folks are charging, or charging more, to haul it and stack it now where it was included in the price.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
7,351 Posts
Is that a 4'x4'x8' cord of cut and split hardwood or tree length?
Yes, a full and 'legal' cord, 4'X4'X8'.

Individual pieces are around 18" long and most are split.

We have been pre-ordering 4 cords a year, though we seem to only burn about 3 1/2 cords a year. so we have been accumulating a back stock. Right now I have 8 cords stacked under the roof our carport.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Yes, a full and 'legal' cord, 4'X4'X8'.

Individual pieces are around 18" long and most are split.

We have been pre-ordering 4 cords a year, though we seem to only burn about 3 1/2 cords a year. so we have been accumulating a back stock. Right now I have 8 cords stacked under the roof our carport.
That's a wicked good price, everything I've seen around here is $250-$300 a cord for cut and split hardwood.

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
It looks like is it about $250. Some of those ads are for a full cord, some for a half cord, same price. No hardwoods around here. That firewood is mostly red fir and some tamarack.
It looks to me like if you have to buy your firewood, it would be cheaper to just heat with the natural gas that most houses are connected to.

I've seen ads for a log truck full of logs, but didn't see one on those quick look for prices. Not cheap that way, either, but a lot less expensive than buying by the half cord.

I know how much work it is to take down tree, cut and split, plus all the gas for the saw, the splitter, and the pickup. I wouldn't expect firewood to be cheap anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
I'm going to ad this: when he was in high school, my son made a lot of money with a firewood business. He'd load the wood into the back of the pickup where we had a sturdy rack that measured out to hold exactly one full cord of wood, 4X4X 8 feet. Just about every time we unloaded the wood, the buyer would stare at the pile of wood and inform us that we had brought more than a cord of wood. So, I am guessing that it is a long time tradition to cheat on the measure of a cord of firewood. I know my delivery was correct. It was carefuly measured so the customer got their money's worth.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts