Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the life of a cordless tools charger is shortened, by leaving it plugged to the wall recepticle, but not to the tools battery? I've noticed they are warm even if they are not plugged to tools battery. Seems to me they should make them to not use any electric as long as the battery is not connected. :shrug:

·
Registered
120 Posts
You're powering up the components of the charger, they will draw some electricity while they are plugged in.
As far as hurting the charger leaving it plugged. It hasn't hurt the charger for the cordless drill I use at work. I got it 5 years ago and it has been plugged in since.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It wastes a tiny, tiny bit of electricy when it's not in use. If the outlet is very accessable you might unplug it, but if it's back behind a desk or bench, forget about it.

I did a quick search and found a guy who had measured the idle current draw of a number of chargers. Most were in the 1-2 watts range. That's around a couple dollars a year of power usage, if left plugged in constantly.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for input. I think I will rig a switch to a recepticle and plug in a couple of chargers. That way just hit a switch to turn off and on. I don't see the point in making the chargers to use current all the time they are connected anyway, unless its to wear out the charger so you will buy another. They are not like tv's that have to be warmed up first. Oh well what do I know? Thanks again Guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts