Cordless circular saw

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Abouttime, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Looking for input on a cordless circular saw that is NOT part of a kit which is all I seem to find.
    Thanks

2. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

3. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

We have a Ridigid from Home depot. It was part of a kit or grouping of several battery powered tools. Does a great job when you are just past the length of your drop cord. Never used it to build a big job but its the one I reach for when just have a few cuts. Its a 18 volt

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i think this belongs in shop talk

5. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Get a quality one... you won't regret it... and while you're at it, go ahead and get one in a "kit"... I use the flashlight that came with my kit more than any of the other tools...

the circular saws are cool, but the sawzalls are unbelievably useful...

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I see 18volts Dewalts used on the job all the time.Seen them cut threw solid red oak for use in handrails all the time.Seem to work great with plenty of power.

7. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

We borrowed an 18 volt Ryobi from our neighbor the other day. DH thought it worked great, so I thought I'd get him the same one for Christmas or his birthday. :)

8. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

Well, it's in this forum so i'll stick my two electrons worth in. I bought sears 19.2v stuff 'cause it's all I could afford at the time.

Sears finally got smart and started offering a real wide range of kits. Don't remember if they have a saw and flashlight kit or not. But, they're relatively cheap. The beauty is they've now started offering just the tools (no case OR battery in the 19.2v range) individually for people like me that have the kits with batteries and are looking to expand.

The only thing I don't like is that the batteries are not great Don't know if it's the chargers or the sub-c's they're using. They work great for maybe a year or so (under pretty heavy use....homeowner use would probably be alright) My dewalt batt.s lasted several years.

btw, my "kit" cost $189 + the governments tribute and I got a drill, circ. saw, flashlight, and a sawzall.

9. Abouttime

Thanks all-I agree about the sawzall-It's used more than anything-best $70 ever spent, but sometimes still need the circular saw!

10. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I am a bit partial to Milwaukee. Have had a sawzall, drill, and hammer drill for about 10 years and still going strong (my dad has some that are 30 yrs old lol). Got the 18 volt cordless kit a few years ago for Christmas and love it. The whole kit runs about $444 @ Lowes but well worth it. You can buy just the saw but I don't remember the price. Dh prefers Bosch, another good brand that offers the kit or just the saw. Runs about the same price as Milwaukee but both are well worth the price as they last forever.

11. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Got a "v28" sawsall and the 28 volt power is fantastic. That's that worry I'd have about a circular saw - some brand (including RYOBI) drop the RPM's to keep the battery lasting longer - they don't cut nearly as well then.

I'd check to see if the Milwalkee brand v28 comes in a circular saw.

12. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

I have the ryobi kit - circular saw - drill - sawsall - flashlight - hand vac - 2 18v batteries - battery charger . I bought it last year when my husband informed me that he wasn't interested in helping fix this place up . I absolutely love it . It was $169 + tax .
    I have remodeled the kitchen and built shelves and made raised beds . . . . ++++ with the tools and still going strong .
    The only thing I can say that I don't like about it is that it was designed for man hands . The batteries are hard for me to remove because I have woman hands - lol. I did write to ryobi and let them know that they need to make them in the size for women since more and more women are using these types of tools and please don't make them in pink - that's an insult - lol .
    The funny thing is that my husband and son are always asking to borrow it . They have a garage full of big boy tools and they want mine !!!!!!! I occassionally say yes - lol.
    When I am doing a lot of wood cutting I always keep the spare battery on charge . Some woods tend to drain the battery faster .
    If you do get just the saw you might want to get an extra battery - probably just cheaper to get the whole kit .

13. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've got one of those cheap 18 volt Harbor Freight models and I have to say it had really performed remarkably well. It has a panasonic battery and charger and has done everything I have ever asked it to. I've had it for 4 or 5 years now and it has got quite a bit of hard use. Enough to go through several blades. For the price I sure can't complain. I had bought it to use for one or two projects but it just keeps going and going.

14. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    We have the Ryobi 18v, with 2 batteries - love it. Also have the Ryobi drill, 12v only 1 battery. Kinda wish we had the kit, as then everything would run off same size battery, but at the time they didn't offer a kit - or we were just in the market for 1 then the other. Anyhow, they're 4-5 yrs old and running strong.

15. Abouttime

Good information-thanks

16. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We have a dewalt and dh loves it but I can't use the dang thing.
    My hands are too small to reach the trigger and the safety button at the same time. :grump:
    PTUIII on dewalt...

17. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

We have an 18 volt Ridgid. It's worked well for us so far. We got the 5-piece kit that came with two batteries and a charger that holds them both. It's just too expensive to buy the tools one at a time.