Cor-Rid Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Helena, May 4, 2005.

1. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I know this has been asked before but I'm never able to find a past question. So...have used Cor-Rid for many years for coccidi (sp?). I am never really sure if I have used it correctly because the direction are usualy for...100 gallon water tanks. the vets don't seem to understand my limited brain on this subject. I have 3 bucks (40#'s to 75#), 4 does (aprox. 75#), a 6 week old doe and 4 one week old kids. The vet usually gives me direction that I can't understand correctly.. guess I'm not just understanding this. I need to know how much of the Cor-rid to give each animal by mouth..orally..and how much to put into a 5 gallong bucket of water and..how much in a bottle for the little ones. The one new Momma goat have terrible loose stools the last 2 days ..wormed her on birthing day and am giving her Immodium and Pepto Bismol which keeps it "at bay" but she is with the kids and don't know what this is going to do with them..what a mess. outside away from the kids and am able to bottle feed 2 out of the 4 kids. The other new Momma has "soft" stools so giving her the same treatment too. Anyone give me easy..simple..direction in converting this ?? Hubby picking up Cor-Rid on his way home tonight..don't know if they are going to give ma a diluted bottle or undiluted bottle of Cor-Rid. Thanks for you help !!!!

2. Ksar

Ksar Member

STOP USING IMODIUM IT CAN KILL THEM!!
    www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles/meds.htm
    Do not use Immodium AD to control diarrhea in goats, because it stops the peristaltic action of the gut and death is a likely result of its use.

Next, are all the goats loose or just the two females?
    Any Fever?
    Switch feed recently, or increase it?
    Been raining a lot?

3. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Oh My Gosh !! It is the generic Immodium I'm using. Yes..it always rains here in the spring..summer..and yes did switch feed because they weren't eating the Caprine Challenger that have bought for years from Blue Seal to their 16 % sweet feed. The does that have the kids have been out on pasture and again this Am for a while. Otherwise they are inside with the kids with hay. I have had the loose stools before in the herd but not this bad as in the one goat. Of course..after the medication..Immodium and Pepto Bismol she doesn't have any BM's. So....can I still give her the Pepto Bismol and hopefully the Cor-Rid I get started tonight will solve this problem. As I said..I don't want her "pooping" all over the pen and the baby goats. Oh..what to do ??!!!

4. Ksar

Ksar Member

Hi Helena
    I would think you only need a bit of electrolytes in their water. The Cor-rid probably wont help it doesn't sound like coccidia, I would blame the feed change and the rain. Cocci effect young animals more and since it is the nanny that is scouring, then I doubt its that. Her giving birth Just what a week ago and then to have a feed change has upset her gut. If she is not BMing now you may have stop the runs, but now you may have to add some mineral oil to loosen her back up. Oh the joys of our animals. If you still want to try and give the Cor Rid, then my bag says(Powder).
    For prevention 4oz/100gal
    So broken down:
    2oz/50gal

1oz/25gal

1/2oz/12.5gal

1/4oz/6gal
    So for a 5 gallon bucket use just a bit more than a quarter of an oz(1/4 TBSP).
    Hope they come round soon.
    Ksar

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Corid dosages can be found on dairygoatsplus.com just do a search. The directions on the bottles and packages are of course for cattle, and way to low a dose. If you dose the water, the goats simply won't drink it or will drink so little they aren't getting the right dose anyway.

What are you worming with? Have you dont a fecal to see if it's working? Adult goats infrequently get cocci, they are usually down from something else, like pnemonia etc., and then cocci sets in. Betcha it's a huge worm burden. Vicki

6. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I too would be surprised if it's coccidiosis in adults, but it's possible. I am not a Corid fan and I've heard from too many goaters who also say it doesn't work as well as Sulfa Dimeth drugs. My cocci treatment is Sulmet solution (it's cheap) used as a drench.

7. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

She is much better now. Soft stools..but much improved. Thanks for all of your help !!