Copperheads!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by havellostmywings, Sep 21, 2004.

1. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

EVERYWHERE!

in the past 4 days, we have encountered about 10.. last night just checking on the squash in the garden... and two... two ... 6 inch long baby copperheads went scurrying away... i turned and high tailed it back into the house... i dont need to meet them ....

seen a couple on the road yesterday.. 2 footers...

shiver...

i dont like them..

how are they in your neck of the woods

Lynn in Texas

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................They usually travel in pairs . This last short session of cool weather a week or so back has probably got them looking for a place to denup for the winter . Just carry a small shovel or hoe with you and apply force accordingly....fordy... :eek: :)

3. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Since we've had Guinea Fowl -- the only snakes I've seen were a couple of huge king snakes...and even those had Guinea wounds all over them. Of course, you'll have to put up with the Guineas doing their warning/scare things off our land routine. I think if I had copperheads surprising me I'd pick the Guineas anyday.

Marlene

4. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

[so marlene, how many guineas do you have that keep the snakes at bay? do you let them in the garden? or do they eat the veges? how well do they control your tick population?

5. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

King Snakes will eat them large and small, and Poultry will take care of the little ones. Black snakes will eat a Copperhead when they're in the mood.

Ask around and get someone who hunts poison snakes for money to catch you a few snake eaters. Their is nothing more satisfying than to walk up on a King Snake enjoying a meal of Copperhead or Rattler.

6. Smoky Rain

Smoky Rain Well-Known Member

Ever since we stopped killing the ring necks and black snakes we haven't seen any copperheads or rattlers around our property.
    When we first moved here to the mountains we killed every single snake we saw - mostly ringnecks... As a result we had copperheads everywhere. An old mountain man up here advised me not to kill any of the 'good' snakes... and it was sound advice.

Btw, moth balls sprinkled around your house are rather effective in keeping them away...

7. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I used to see copperheads but we've had guineas I've only seen a few worm snakes under rocks.

8. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We do not have a problem with the dangerous snakes, but our guineas HATE snakes and we LOVE our guineas. Would not have a homestead without them!...Joan :worship:

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

Ozarkin'it, what's great about guineas is they won't eat your garden. They are insectivores, not herbivores like chickens.

10. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Ozarkin'it -- We only have about a dozen guineas at this time -- will get some new blood in the spring. The most we ever had were 56 -- that was a few too many. And if they are as great as we were lead to believe about keeping the ticks population down ... I sure wouldn't like to live here without em. In the area (couple acreas) I keep mowed like a lawn - I don't have much a problem with ticks -- but get out in the taller grass and the ticks are terrible.

Someone forgot to tell my Guineas that they don't like vegetables -- mine love lettuce -- which they will wipe out if allowed in the garden, and they have been known to enjoy a tomato or two ...maybe they just like salad makings? Actually, they love rice and pasta too. They really aren't a problem in the garden -- I let them in when I'm out there because they are great with grasshoppers and other bugs. Other then that first year of noise the only thing they are bad about is making holes where they dust bath. Mine like to dust bath then come up on the front steps and shake it all off...they worry about me getting bored with nothing to do.

Marlene

11. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

What WILL eat your tomatoes is Muskovies. I kept blaming the muskrats for getting in the garden until I saw Daddy Duck (pet) bite a large tomato in half, throw his head back and swallow it. DH kept trying to tell me it was Daddy, but I didn't believe him. :no:

12. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Peafowl also avidly devour tomatoes. I make foldable cages from concrete wire or cattle panels and cover them with chicken wire. If I don't about the time they turn pink the Peafowl help themselves. And with 20 some of them roaming around it's "yes we have no tomatoes today".