Copper Bolusing

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dezeeuwgoats, Jun 25, 2006.

1. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Please enlighten me, and forgive my bad attitude. I just came in after wasting three copasure boluses. :grump: I've tried a balling gun, I've dried the holder and drenching gun - included with the copasure.

I CANNOT GET THAT DARN BOLUS DOWN THEIR THROATS!!!!! :flame:

I know that those stupid little copper rods must be passed into their stomachs intact, in the bolus capsule or it doesn't work slow release like it should. Does anyone out there have any tips for accomplishing this feat? This is the third or fourth time I've tried dosing my goats - and I've only achieved ONE success in all those times. The other times they just chewed 'em up. :help:

Thanks;
    Niki

2. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

The only way we have found to get them down is a team effort. DH holds goats mouth open with nose pointing up and I shove the boluses as far back into their mouth (right at the throat opening) as possible. He closes their mouth (after I have inserted boluses) while continuing to hold the nose up and I massage the throat area. It USUALLY works for us, though we have had some spit out or chewed. I could not do it by myself, and I tried many times. If anyone has a more successful method I would sure like to know it too.

Debbie

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Do you use the whole copusure bolus or do you repack it in smaller capsules? That might help. They don't need a whole copusure. I break them down into 3 small "00" capsules and some goats get one, some two, depending on size.

Someone suggested using a piece of PVC pipe along with the balling gun. Put the PVC pipe far back in their mouth. Then put the balling gun through the pipe way back in their throat and shoot the capsules in. Sounds like a good idea to me, but I haven't tried it yet.