Copper bolus dosing

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TRAILRIDER, May 12, 2011.

1. TRAILRIDER

TRAILRIDER Well-Known Member Supporter

I have got the good pill gun and the copper bolus (thanks Cannon_Farms). Now can anybody give me advice on how to dose them?
    I know from handfeeding baby parrots that you always feed from your right towards your left while facing the bird. In other words down the right side of the birds mouth to avoid getting food down the wind pipe. Would this be the same with a goat-aim for the right side of the goats throat? Is there a way to be completely accurate? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

My advice. Get it back in their throat as far as you can. Otherwise they spit them out. I just tilt their head up a little, get it back as far as I can. Push the plunger, hold their mouth shut and massage their throat and pray they don't spit them up. I only had one out of seven the other day that I had to re-bolus, because she spit it out. :smack:ashamed::D

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

You're not going far enough to be concerned about that. Just like coso says, get it as far back as you can basically. Goats have a long head so it takes about the length of the bolus gun to get back behind that tongue.

You can give them a little grain afterwards to keep them from trying to work it back up.

4. TRAILRIDER

TRAILRIDER Well-Known Member Supporter

Both very good advice. Thanks! I've pilled alot of dogs and cats before and my girls are very easily handled so I'm not expecting any trouble.