Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too many trigger happy cops on the streets.

"A rookie New York City police officer shot and killed an unarmed 28-year-old man in a darkened stairwell in Brooklyn late Thursday night, according to the police.
Police Commissioner William J. Bratton said that the victim, Akai Gurley, was “a total innocent” and called the shooting “an unfortunate accident.” He was not engaged in any activity other than trying to walk down the stairs, Mr. Bratton said."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3229691/posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Calling it an accidental discharge is not acceptable. It at the minimum a Negligent Discharge. The gun can not fire without the finger on the trigger. Trigger control was one of the main issues with our training. We had one guy trip and gun went off. It was negligent not accidental.

My guess is that he pulled his gun and light. My question is, what specifics are there to indicate that need. What was the specific risks. Just cuz it is dark does not cut it. It's a high crime area. OK, why did not the partner pull his. We had a hard enough time getting guys to hit center mass intent illy, let alone by accident.

·
Banned
292 Posts
A couple years ago a group of cops in NYC broke into a family's house because they thought they were parked illegally. They threw the aging grandmother on the floor and beat a 15 year old kid. The family pet ( a parrot ) was knocked over onto the floor. The little sister began yelling 'my bird, my bird'. One of the cops walked over to the bird and stomped it to death in front of the whole family.

No charges have been brought against the cop. He still walks the streets with a badge, a gun and no accountability. Apparently the officials in NYC feel that this is acceptable behavior for a police officer.

·
Banned
292 Posts
LOL

Maybe there is a shortage of cops for a reason.

Those who think they can do a better job, please step up.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96570
What we need is a system of accountability and a way for the citizens to have some power in determining which officers patrol their streets. We need to be able to get rid of the bad ones quickly and reward the good ones.

This is a systemic problem, not a place for sarcasm.

·
Banned
132 Posts
A couple years ago a group of cops in NYC broke into a family's house because they thought they were parked illegally. They threw the aging grandmother on the floor and beat a 15 year old kid. The family pet ( a parrot ) was knocked over onto the floor. The little sister began yelling 'my bird, my bird'. One of the cops walked over to the bird and stomped it to death in front of the whole family.

No charges have been brought against the cop. He still walks the streets with a badge, a gun and no accountability. Apparently the officials in NYC feel that this is acceptable behavior for a police officer.
Yes you mean this one;

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-killed-parakeet-staten-island-mom-article-1.1541112

City cops barged into the home of a Staten Island mom without a warrant, beat up her family and callously killed her pet parakeet, according to court papers.

Evelyn Lugo’s beloved bird Tito was ejected from his cage after it was knocked off a dresser when cops came into the St. George home, the lawsuit alleges.

“I screamed, ‘The bird!’ ” Lugo’s daughter Anna Febles told the Daily News, “and he said, ‘F--- the bird,’ and he, like, stepped on it.”
Just one more in a growing trend of police abuse of citizenry.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
We called it bad intel. It was really sloppy police work. Ya hit the wrong house. We never did when it was my team. 3 weeks after I left the team, they hit the wrong apartment. Bad intel they said. Crap work I said. If you can't confirm where you are going, don't. Post Office seems to get the right place - usually. We can get complacent in most jobs. Unfortunately, if a cop is complacent somebody will likely get hurt.

Bad part is that this speaks nothing of those that don't recognize the Constitution. We've got them too.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the police commissioner calling this an "unfortunate ACCIDENT," it's already been decided that there will probably be no charges brought against the cop, just another work place mishap.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
What we need is a system of accountability and a way for the citizens to have some power in determining which officers patrol their streets. We need to be able to get rid of the bad ones quickly and reward the good ones.

This is a systemic problem, not a place for sarcasm.
I posted a link where NYC (and many other cities) already have a severe shortage of Officers and new recruits.

My guess is that they are no longer picking the creme of the crop.

Are bad cops better than no cops?

A conundrum, for sure.

This shooting was by a rookie. Did he intend to start his Law Enforcement career out, but intentionally shooting someone?

I doubt it.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
With the police commissioner calling this an "unfortunate ACCIDENT," it's already been decided that there will probably be no charges brought against the cop, just another work place mishap.

He may or may not have been negligent, but If he didn't accidentally shoot the person, then it was intentional.

Should he be charged with premeditated murder?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted a link where NYC (and many other cities) already have a severe shortage of Officers and new recruits.

My guess is that they are no longer picking the creme of the crop.

Are bad cops better than no cops?

A conundrum, for sure.

This shooting was by a rookie. Did he intend to start his Law Enforcement career out, but intentionally shooting someone?

I doubt it.
Regardless of whether he intended to start his career this way or not, an innocent person is dead. I certainly hope that this does end his LEO career as he's shown that he's not up to the job.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Regardless of whether he intended to start his career this way or not, an innocent person is dead. I certainly hope that this does end his LEO career as he's shown that he's not up to the job.

I'm old already that said been my son or daughter you can bet someones career would be over :thumb:

·
Registered
14,353 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just like any other profession there are plenty of good cops and plenty of bad ones. Sad thing is we only here of the bad or incompetent ones that usually cause someone their life.

Reactions: MO_cows

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I wonder if there is actually an increase in police caused deaths or whether the media is running stories because people are more interested.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 27 Posts