coon vs. dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Northman, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Northman

Northman Well-Known Member

Anyone had experience withhaving their dogs tangle with a coon? I have been having a late night visitor he seems to be coming around every few nights to clean out my bird feeders. I only have a bow and haven't been able to get a shot off. I do have chickens but haven'tt had it try to get at them. Yet.

If my dogs get it cornered will they get their butts kicked? they are inside dogs so they only get coon interactions if I choose to allow it. should I?

thanks for your thoughts in advance.

2. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

House dogs vs cornered coon........ my money is on the coon.

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I raise a type of dog meant to kill pests and protect their territory but I don't want them near a coon. I'll let them tree one but that's the limit. Coons can do a lot of damage in a long and viscious fight.

4. mojack

mojack Member

Our Border Collie killed one last year that had come up iby the house.

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Coons are surprisingly ferocious. We have had more than one dog get tore up pretty good after tangling with a coon. A couple were really really badly injured. One lost an eye and a good portion of the right side of his face. I could see how a coon could definitely kill a dog especially a smaller weaker breed.

We had one running one night and he jumped into a small slough (river backwater) and one of the dogs went in after him before we could grab him and ended up drowning. We don't have any proof exactly that the dog was drowned by the coon but it isn't like he hadn't been in the water before. He was a good swimmer. We had always been told a coon will drown a dog if he gets him in the water so we tried to keep them out but we couldn't grab a couple of the dogs that got in before we could get them restrained.

Did the coon drown him? We have always thought so but I didn't actually see it happen being dark and all.

Any coon hunters in here that can shed any light on the coon drowning dogs story I've always been warned about? True or myth? I'm leaning towards truth but having not actually seen it happen with my own eyes I still kinda wonder. It is possible Rupert (the dead dog in question) just had a heart attack and drowned or something but that would be one heck of a coincidence.

6. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I heard a story of a coon drowning a dog- holding its head down- forget how it ended think the observer rescued the dog somehow.

7. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

dont let a house dog fight a coon your dogs will loose. i have coon hunted for years using hounds. coon pound for pound are one of the meanest and toughest animals there is. i have lost hounds that cornered a coon in water, also have had some get whooped up on pretty bad on land. best thing for you to do is shoot it or trap it.

8. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Depending on the size and age of the coon, the dog will probably lose the fight... a coon that is street smart so to speak can out smart the best family dog... and can outsmart a good coon dog... and yes the buggers have been known to draw a hound out into water deeper than the dog can reach its feet to and grab a head and pull it under.....

Coons can do things in water that ordinary animals just dont do... like holding their whole body under water with the exception of their nose until all the fleas migrate to the tip of the nose and can be washed off....

Anyhow a coon will attack a dog and go for the throat... if it catches the dogs throat it will rip the windpipe with its teeth as the dog tries to shake off the coon.... seen a video of a dog going down in a hole and backing out with the coon attached to its nose.... small dog of about 20 pounds.... coon weighed 37 pounds... but the dog won cause the owner was there to git it.

William

9. ralphsmom

ralphsmom Well-Known Member

I was having a skunk problem here and the state trapper brought out a trap (havahart) for me to use. The first night I caught a racoon. When I went to look at it, my dog was with me but I kept him back. I have never seen such a vicious animal. It was all claws and teeth. It was in such a rage it would pull the hair out of it's tail. I would be afraid for any dog that came in contact with that animal. I'd worry about rabies too. A lady in LaGrange, Oregon was walking her 3 dogs by a river when the dogs spotted a racoon and went after it. They chased it into the water and it drowned her 2 terriers. Her retriever survived. A lady down the road use to raise racoons and sell the babies. Ended up getting torn up pretty badly by her breeding pair. They may look cute, but they're not.

10. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Fact ... we lost one of our dogs that way.

Coon vs. inside dogs ... my money's on the coon.

Northman, that coon WILL eventually go after your chickens and they can get into almost anything. If they can get their head into a small opening like a hole in a fence, they'll get their whole body in. Either trap it or shoot it with something a bit more than a bow. I've seen coons fall out of trees and land on the ground full of fight after grazing their hard heads with a .22 round.

11. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi all,
    Since everyone seems to know a lot about coons here, I thought I would ask
    a semi-related question. A week ago when I was in SE Minnesota, the DW
    and myself were awakened in the wee hours of the morning by a terrible fight
    in our apple tree not 20 yards from our bedroom window (of course, we were
    sleeping with the window open enjoying the cool night breeze ;-) I jumped up to see what it was and found two "coons" going at it and making a hell of a
    racket. When it finally broke up after a good two or three minutes, one of the
    critters came down from the tree and walked off rather slowly. I got a good
    look at it and I swear it looked like a BADGER! Compact, low to the ground, grey
    with short hair and not much of a tail at all. Question is can badgers climb trees? I went out and shown a light in the tree and saw the other was a
    terribly shaken coon. Everyone I have asked said I was mistaken and it was
    probably two coons fighting. Anyone have a clue?
    James in Houston, Tx. (soon to be Houston, MN for good)

12. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Coons are one of the nastiest animals when it comes to dogs. I did have a Springer Spaniel that used to kill coons. I saw him rip their throats out; but he was a little crazy in the head. My nephew that stays with us in the summer runs coon hounds and he almost lost a dog this past hunting season to a coon in the water. He had to go in and grab his dog as the coon was drowning him. Some of his dogs have gotten chewed up a little. My old tom cat used to fight them when he was young and I spent a fortune in vet bills because of the infections he got. There would be small holes on the outside but inside there would be large holes. He finally learned to leave them alone. Yup, I would keep a house dog away from them if possible. I don't let my lab near them even when we catch them in a trap; but then she is a be wimp...lol

13. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Our male German Shepherd got hold of a coon a few months ago. He won and the coon lost, and we were amazed at how vicious he was (he is normally so docile). This isn't something we would promote as coons carry diseases and time might come that he doens't win so easily. We now trap them and haul them off to farther places in the woods. When he sees them in the trap, he goes nuts and if he gets close tries to tear the trap apart to get to the coon. Still don't want him to even try.

14. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:haha: SO Sorry, but most of the previous posts are.... to be polite....hogwash. Your average raccoon in the wild may get up to 20 lbs. rarely larger. They are not otters, they are not mink, they are not bears, they are not crocodiles. Raccoons are NOT at home in deep water and are crepuscular hunters at the water's edge finding crayfish, mollusks, larvae and what not to eat there.

They also are quite arboeal and hunt for eggs etc in trees and when threatened that is the first place they go if they can.

If they are surprised at the water's edge by a fearsome predator like a dog or person and can't get to a tree, they will, of course, seek refuge in the water..wouldn't you?

They have a heavy coat and they get waterlogged and tired in water that's over their heads rather quickly.

Unfortunately my dogs tangled with raccoons here on a regular basis until I got a brain and moved the bird feeders out of the dog yard! Until then I'd get a a really rude awakening in the middle of the blasted night by a dog/coon fight right outside my window! At that time I had just one 57 lb cattle dog male and he just hated raccoons. I think he just waited by his doggie door and wished them into his dog yard. LOL

I didn't mind the coons helping themselves to the sunflower seed in the feeders but I sure got tired of those fights! I even made a little ladder and everthing for those darned raccoons to get up the Madrone tree from outside the dogyard fence but that didn't help. They just HAD to go down to the ground and the inevitable fight with Howdy, or he'd trap the coon up that tree and then of course I got all of the yapping and threatening and four letter dog words at the coon! sigh

I'd go out there and dance around until I could get Howdy close enough to grab his collar and pull him away from the coon and drag him back in the house and close up the doggie door until the coon got away. Howdy didn't kill one during those times but he'd sure get them trapped under the steps a lot so at least the coon had a place to duck.

I raised and released raccoons, and one night it so happened that one of those intruders was a coon I had released. I heard all of that noise(When Howdy got in a fight he always sounded like he was being decapitated.LOL)I ran out there and the coon ran behind me! LOL That was a bit scary because I was worried she might decide to climb up on my head with Howdy right after her! She didn't though, she used me to give her time to get over the dog yard fence and away. Whew!

I added another Cattle dog after a while and between the two dogs they started killing raccoons. The coons just couldn't handle two dogs.

So, that's when I engaged my one brain cell and moved the bird feeders.Duhhhh. Man., I was dumb.

As for the water....the dogs have surprised raccoons out at the pond when one of the hapless coons would come out a bit early to hunt critters in my pond. I was out there on one occasion and saw the whole thing. I had been walking towards the pond and saw a grey streak and wondered what the heck it was..it was going away from me and would have got away but Howdy came from the other direction and trapped the coon between us. The coon jumped in the water which is over it's head and Howdy went right in after it. All of my yelling did no good and Howdy killed the raccoon in six feet of water.

That raccoon, a young but grown male, just wanted to get away and didn't turn to face the dog until he had no chance at all. He got really tired and the dog was still fresh and outswam the coon.

The second dog/coon encounter was with my red cattle dog female Savannah, smaller than Howdy she weighs 43 lbs. It was at the river and I did not see the beginning of it. It was evening I was enjoying the view and looking for feeding trout and before I knew it I heard a fight out in the water, it was Savannah and a raccoon. The coon would have been dead but it managed to grab a snag from a cedar tree that was hanging out in the water and it got away, barely. Savannah jerked that coon off and back in the water twice before it got up and away.

So, Puh-lease....I think all this sillyness is just that, silliness, about how "bad" raccoons are in the water. They are just out there looking for food and trying to survive...and anytime they are threatened they will do their best to get away first and then if they can't they'll try and stand and fight. So do rats and pert near anything else that's living.

I think a rat terrier could take on a raccoon myself or any other dog that's fiesty and determined. A wild animal can't afford to get hurt, they don't have emergency rooms to go to and get patched up so they can forage for food again. Chances are if they get injured they can't compete and will die. So, if they get the chance, they retreat.Dogs on the other hand, don't care, they just go for it!

It's just common sense. Try not to be so naive and do a little research before believing some of this nonsense(snort!)

LQ

15. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Maybe the Midwestern and Southern coons are tougher than the Oregon ones >... :confused:

16. Northman

Northman Well-Known Member

My dogs aren't really small and not sure if them being inside dogs really has anything to do with it. Two are 65 lbs and one is 40lbs all three are American pitbull terriers. I know they can hold their own with alot of critters but have no experience with coons. I've always heard about how nasty a coon can get but had no first hand knowledge.

I have a couple traps but don't want to leave them set as the dogs could get into them. I may set one next time the coon makes an appearance, then put an arrow into it.

17. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

18. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

MidWest coons are tough and BIG. I trapped 3 at different times at the entrance to my chicken run and the smallest weighed 30 pounds, then 33 pounds and 36 pounds cause I weighed them after I shot them cause they were soo big.

19. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

we have a 117 lb. Rotwiller X . We almost lost her to a Coon, The next day all we found was a tail. The Coons. About a week later our dog Cocco had a big abcess on her neck. Shoulld have and WILL in the futere, take the dog to the vet right away or let our friends up the road lance it. Conn's are vicious! any one on this property needs to be KILLED, sorry to all who think there cute and feed then on the porch, but thay don't mix with regular homesteding operations at ALL. We have shot a few that CiCCO has treed. and I hope if any more are so inclined to come on our property either our dog or our GUN will send them on to a better end.

20. LWB

LWB Well-Known Member

Save your house dogs. Shoot the coon. The only dog that can stand up and kill a full grown coon mano mano is a Pit Bulldog. The coon will tear him up good but once he gets a hold on the coon , the coon is history. The pit will not quit. Pain means nothing to him. A German Shephard and a Rottweiller have no chance against a coon.