Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this got lost from yesterday's crash. Here goes again.

My husband shot most of the kits from a coon family. The mother is huge and only showed up when hubby was out of ammo and getting more. I want to get rid of her.

Need to know how to attract her back and do I just wait each night with shotgun in hand near the spot where I put food out? What do I put out, how often, etc.

Thanks for any advice. I have ducks, geese that I am protecting. I also have a great watch dog. He's how we knew the coons where in the yard. The mother was eating right out of his dish, and the dog was INSIDE and still knew something was up. He raced out and chased her out of the yard and up over the fence.

Pat

·
Registered
330 Posts
I take it the dog dish is near the house, so just put it back out with the dog food she seems to like already, maybe topped of with a cheap can of sardines in oil. Put it were you can see it from a door or window with an outside light on. If the dog starts to act up again, just slide the barrel out the window or door and blast her; if not you just might have to look outside every once in awhile, she'll be back. Don't know if you have any cats, but you could also use a leg hold trap baited with some sardines; hopefully you won't catch a skunk!!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
You will want to parboil her first before Baking.

big rockpile

·
Registered
936 Posts
Since you already let your dog in the house, why don't you just start feeding it in the house & eliminate the outdoor feeding bowl. Lots of other critters will continue to be attracted to that food bowl...besides coons! And you'll Never be able to shoot all of them...even if you stay up every night from now on with a shotgun. Feed & Water the dog indoors & take away at least One food attraction for the critters. Your other animals will also have to be protected, along with their food sources, unless you intend to shoot all of the critters that might enjoy what you are offering them to Eat!.Eliminate what attracts the critters! You won't be able to shoot them...even if they come to whatever bait that you put out. Your outdoor Fido feeding station is attractive to lots of animals like mice,& rats,& insects. Feed the dog in the house! Then let the dog out to chase off the critters...at least some of them.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Here's what has worked TWICE for us in the past week alone!!! Take a big 55 gallon PLASTIC drum/barrel with the top out of it. Place something "interesting" in the bottom.....we used old bread. Place the barrel close to a tree or other object that the coon can easily climb up and over to the top of the barrel. They'll drop in for a snack and then can't get back out. Retrieve barrel in the morning and use the appropriate means to eliminate......22 rifle works for us....one shot in/thru the head and then dispose of the body. :) Reset the trap for the following night.

·
Registered
115 Posts
http://fishgut.proboards25.com/index.cgi?board=bait
http://fishgut.proboards25.com/index.cgi?board=lures
1.Get Jet Puffed Marshmellow Creme(makes Exclellent for a paste bait.), or another brand, doesnt matter.

2. Get some Sweet Honey, and squirt a little of that in your marshmellow creme.

3.Vanilla Extract, put a few table spoons of that in your mix to give it that sweet-vanilla smell

4.Maple Syrup-i say this becuase it sounds like an excellent combo to give your bait that "sweet-sugary maple" smell to reach long distance to them coon, only use a little of it tho, dont use to much.

5.BUTTERSCOTCH!!, definetly in, put a few drops of some natural or artificail butterscotch in your mix.

6.Peanut Butter all the way, this is a combo that is like 2 peas and a pod with that jet puff marshmellow creme.

Now that you got all that mixed in, go see how it works on the coon. these are all irrestible coon ingredients and if you can add other things to it if you want like a few drops of cinnamon flavoring or peppermint.

try this and the site(beware it shouldnt be viewed by young kids if your in the main board) and use a trap either a cage or a foot hold

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
A can of Sardines packed in Mustard Sauce is the best I have found for getting them into a trap. It's oily as well and so you can dribble it all the way into the trap and the sent will stick. I like to live trap them though, and partially peeling back the lid, then tying it to the inside of the wire cage frustrates them to the point that no matter how careful they are, they will step on the trigger plate.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No activity from the Coon. No idea if she has a large area that she patrols or what.

I'll keep you posted.

Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts