cooling more cheaply using a water tank

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by caballoviejo, Jun 22, 2006.

1. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

I'm cross-posting this on "Alternative Energy" but its not really alternative, just conservation.

I've got a heat pump and we air condition more months that we heat.

Question:

Why couldn't I run my line in a loop that included passage througha LARGE iunderground tank of water - say a few thousand gallons? At night when it is cooler, I'd chill the water with an evaporator. During the day I could dump heat into the water reserviour before or after entering the condenser coils for more effecient cooling. Essentialy I'd store cheaper energy/cooling in the water.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

What you are proposing is similar to the manner in which my geothermal heat pump functions. I have a tube and shell heat exchanger instead of a condenser. Ground water is circulated through the exchanger and cools the freon. The heatpump performs as if the outside temperature was a constant 56 degrees (ground water temperature) and is therefore very economical to operate. A LONG loop of piping circulating a coolant buried deep enough is what you would want to have to condition the freon.

3. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I have thought about this idea for many years. I have not tried it yet, but I do think its a sound theory. My idea was a little different. I was going to pump the cool water from the burried tank directly into my house, and through a radiator.

4. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

does a cold glass of iced tea or anything sweat in your house currently?

5. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

You will need drip pans under each radiator and pipe drain lines from them to either the outside or a drain to remove condensation. The ground water probably won't be cold enough to really air condition the house properly. You would need a chiller to drop the water temp. and then fans to move the air over the radiators. Basically what you are proposing is a fan coil system that was used for years in many office buildings.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

6. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

FIL used to pump well water through a radiator in the window with a fan behind it.
    He didn't get AC till about 5 years ago and still complains of the cost, but the AC is never off when it's hot.

7. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Similar idea to a milk pre-cooler. Milk passes through one line in a radiator, cold well water flows around it then into a reservoir. During the rest of the day the cows drink the water from the reservoir so there's room for more cold water for the next milking.

8. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my neighbors has a heat pump and somehow part of his setup is in the bottom of a fairly deep pond. I don't understand how it works but he likes it, says it saves him a lot of money.