Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok you all are my therapists. Sheriff was here 8:15pm to serve court papers on my son. He lives in another state 3 hours away. All they would say was his wife filed protective order. Court date is tomorrow morning. Am i nuts wonder why they would come here to serve papers? The night before court. all they let me see was court date. And I have no idea what son and his wife are doing not doing. But years ago she attacked him. Sure made me want a gate at the end of driveway ...so who ever, would have to walk in and out. Had the screen door hooked but door open. They shined a flashlight in the screen door. Dog acted strange didn't bark till they left. Is going to parents house in another state to serve court papers something new, odd, unusual?
You guys are so much cheaper then lawyers doctors and therapists

·
Premium Member
34,524 Posts
I think it has to be personally delivered to his hands.
Our local sheriff once waited in our driveway until we got home then sped off without talking to us. They had left a court appearance required notice in our door. The person they wanted didn't even live here, which I would have told them if they would have stayed for 2 minutes.

Of course the requirements for notification may vary by locality.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our local sheriff once waited in our driveway until we got home then sped off without talking to us. They had left a court appearance required notice in our door. The person they wanted didn't even live here, which I would have told them if they would have stayed for 2 minutes.

Of course the requirements for notification may vary by locality.
Was thinking of driving out just to see if they believe me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok, I'll take a stab at it.....I'm guessing he's already left their home and nobody knows where he is. So they're hoping you do. Either he's staying at your place for now, or at least you've been in contact with him, and can pass the information to him, is probably how they're thinking. Maybe the wife told them that he's probably at your place. It's probably to her advantage if he doesn't show up to court for whatever reason. (Wondering if they would then, issue a warrant for his arrest for not showing up??)
Wonder also if they HAVE to deliver those court papers to either your son or family in order for the court date to proceed and not be postponed?

But of course, Im just guessing, which means nothing, so as Lucy in Peanuts would say.."That'll be 5 cents please".

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Do they live together? If so, chances are they had a fight and your son left. She didn't know where he went, said maybe he went to his parents' house and gave your address.

There's probably no need for him to appear at the first hearing anyway. Most states try to serve the person, but they have the hearing right away so as not to delay the PPO. But he can file for a hearing after the fact to petition to get it lifted if that's important to him.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Ok you all are my therapists. Sheriff was here 8:15pm to serve court papers on my son. He lives in another state 3 hours away. All they would say was his wife filed protective order. Court date is tomorrow morning. Am i nuts wonder why they would come here to serve papers? The night before court. all they let me see was court date. And I have no idea what son and his wife are doing not doing. But years ago she attacked him. Sure made me want a gate at the end of driveway ...so who ever, would have to walk in and out. Had the screen door hooked but door open. They shined a flashlight in the screen door. Dog acted strange didn't bark till they left. Is going to parents house in another state to serve court papers something new, odd, unusual?
You guys are so much cheaper then lawyers doctors and therapists
They were fishing for information, I have done it many times myself. If he isn't served by the time and date specified on the court order. They will return the order to the court, and the court will set another date.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
My daughter was served papers for a minor traffic accident years ago. The person serving the papers asked if she was home. I said “No, she’s away at college in Madison.” He asked her address and I told him I I didn’t know. (I didn’t). , but could find out easy enough. Well, he was too impatient, so just left.
I do believe they have to serve you in person, not a parent or family member. I would say your son is probably MIA, and they were just guessing and fishing by showing up at your place like someone else mentioned.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did drive out . didnt see any police sitting in the woods. 11pm but its pretty dark no street lights. Guess I'll hear about what and who did what eventually. Don't have great communication with the kids, but someone will tattle.
You guys are the Best!

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Some courts can be pretty slack. The farm boss and I (along with other prior shareholders of a private enterprise) were sued in civil court some years ago. The NC court served some attorney with the same name as me that was a resident of NC and they used FedEx to try to serve the farm boss. They never made it past the gate for her. But, after 4 attempts they dropped it off at a neighbors house and forged her signature.

After a month of them bothering the same-named attorney just waived my right and let the stupidity begin to get it over with.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update
So I ran into the Sheriff. He asked how things are going, kinda small talk. Then told me what was in the PPO. Seems my daughter in law had her boyfriend come over. She had condoms in her hand that my son took from her and left.

I sheet you not!

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Update
So I ran into the Sheriff. He asked how things are going, kinda small talk. Then told me what was in the PPO. Seems my daughter in law had her boyfriend come over. She had condoms in her hand that my son took from her and left.

I sheet you not!
😳 seriously.....smh

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, didn’t have time to read through the old posts again- are your son and DIL still living together?
No he has not gone back. Kinda don't think he will. Guess im so out of the loop with my kids its embarrassing. Im kinda proud of him... If it was me... don't think the friend would have made it out the yard

1 - 20 of 21 Posts