Cool Soapy Site!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Canucklehead, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Active Member

2. misslinda

misslinda Well-Known Member

I have not made any of these bath bombs but they sure sound good to make!! Now....not to sound too ignorant here but....what is "citric acid"?? :confused:

3. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

citric acid is a naturally occuring acid, found in citrus...it's what gives lemons the "tartness" and makes ya lips pucker :haha:
    In powdered form, combined with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), citric acid is what puts the fizz in bath bombs and bath fizzies. It's also sometimes used in lotions and other skin care products to lower pH.
    It has many uses including additive in store bought "fruit fresh" for canning (to keep fruit from turning brown) For example, using lemon juice on fresh cut apples keeps them from turning dark....it's the citric acid in the juice ;)

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It is a powdered food grade acid. You can buy it at soaper's supply places and at the health food store. You can also cheat and use generic kool ade type drink mix (no sugar) if you want to make just a few bombs. Lemon flavor is a good choice not to dye your skin. LOL. And smells good too.

5. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Active Member

Well... I thought I found something really neat and "new" so I called over my wife and she says she knows all about these bath bombs. Oh well... got to wake up pretty early to outsmart her... :haha:

Still can't wait to try it out. WHat fun! I'll make some big ones and add them to the kiddie pool ;)

6. misslinda

misslinda Well-Known Member

Hey....thanks to all for my question about citric acid!! I appreciate that very much!! These bombs and fizzies sound like fun to make and fun to use!! I am so glad you posted this subject!! :)

7. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

My daughter (age 6) made these for Christmas to give to her friends. They were a big hit. Be careful you don't add too much water though.

8. Mary in MO

Mary in MO Well-Known Member

This is great!!! I'll make them for my granddaughter, she'll have a blast with them. Guess I've been sheltered, never heard of bath bombs before. Closest I've gotten is farting in the tub. :haha: hehehehehe
    Mary