Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this on another thread, but I think it deserves its own.

I found this cage rack design on a google search the other day. I really like it, and lo and behold, it just happens to be from our own MoonKitten! Here's the link:

http://www.downtherabbithole.ca/rabbitry.html

Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a link to the page from her main site. I found it only with a google search (I've forgotten the exact search terms, but it was something like "rabbit cage build").

I'll modify it, of course, to fit my own cages (MoonKitten's are, I believe, 24"x6' and 24"x8'), and I'm thinking I want dropping pans rather than the washout boards so that I can collect the bunny poo for my garden.

It's versatile and user-friendly, with removable cages and dropping boards. Best of all, it seems to be easy to build, with inexpensive, easy-to-find materials.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a similar system that used corrugated roofing panels that slope lengthwise top to bottom and all the rabbit droppings roll down into a buried bathtub (the worm farm) and provide free compost! You would need to have things outside though for my system to work with the sunken tub : )

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I've seen MoonKitten's set-up and thought it was pretty cool. Now I know how to replicate it!

Thanks for the link. :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for the compliments, trinityoaks!

Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a link to the page from her main site. I found it only with a google search (I've forgotten the exact search terms, but it was something like "rabbit cage build").
Yeah, I suppose I am just too paranoid. There are so many rescue/humane societies/house bunny organizations that feel very strongly that rabbits should NOT be in wire cages, but should live loose in the house, that I don't like to advertise the fact that my rabbits live in nice sanitary wire cages where they don't come into contact with live wires, feces, plastic shoes, carpet fibres, etc. Many people have asked about rack systems so I created a webpage I can point to but that casual browsers won't necessarily find.

I'm thinking I want dropping pans rather than the washout boards so that I can collect the bunny poo for my garden.
I started with dropping pans, but I'm rather short and after 48 hours, a NZ doe and litter can REALLY fill up a pan. I found them heavy and awkward to dump without spilling urine all over myself :doh: The slanted board allows the urine to drain away, but leaves behind nice dry poops that I sweep up and empty into feed bags for garden compost.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I stole ladysown idea and changed a couple things. They work awesome...i love it! More space used and more rabbits!

Its really easy to clean to:)

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
That is how my rabbitryis set up. Except the shelves were already there and I only have the one layer of cages.
Mine had been stacked units and I didn't like the pans being so close to the rabbits. Oe not being able to see into the highest feeders.
So I removed the shelves leaving the structure that held them and hung the wire cages inside of them. The structure that was the shevles 2 layers down now has the pans on it.
I use a hoe to scrape waste into a tub and carry the tub out. Then I take the enpty pans out to rinse them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts