Cooking with Venison from Scratch?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by deb, Nov 26, 2006.

1. deb

deb Well-Known Member

We're slowly getting acquainted with the couple who owns the 90 acres to the west of us, but live in town. Yesterday the husband brought DH a bunch of venison steaks and a roast. DH thanked him profusely, but being a guy and a shy one at that, DH didn't feel comfortable asking our neighbor for advice about cooking the venison! :rolleyes: LOL

I've seen some venison recipes that use canned or dried soups, but that isn't an option for us because of DH's food allergies and intolerances. Can you give me some advice or recipes for cooking venison from scratch?

Thanks in advance
    Deb
    in WI

2. Lairvine

Lairvine Pure-T-Mommicked, son!!!

Here is what I always do... Use it the same as you would use beef... :)

3. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Do you have a pressure cooker or crock pot?

I love to cook mine in the pressure cooker with onion, salt & pepper. Comes out wonderfully every time. I put the meat in frozen at 3:30 and it is ready at 5:00.

In the crock pot I will put it with 2 cups of gingerale (can he have ginger ale?) Then I top with a sliced onion & 2 crushed garlic cloves. On top of that I put potatoes (sliced in long quarters). Then on top of that in a foil packet, I put halved carrots, legthwise, with a little butter & brown sugar or maple syrup. Start right after lunch, & it will be prefect for supper.

The left overs from either make great stew, so make extra.

Can your dh have flour? If so you can make your own cream soups. Melissa had a good recipe a while back.

4. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    One of my favorite meals is venison stew. You could take the steak and cut it in smaller pieces. Brown it in a little oil with an onion. Add just enough water to almost cover and simmer for awhile (covered). Then add potatoes (large pieces--washed & unpeeled), carrots (large pieces--washed & unpeeled), and 1 rutabaga (peeled & cubed)--this is the secret ingredient! Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Don't add too much water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until all is tender. This is very much better the second day.

5. Daddymem

Daddymem Well-Known Member

Our favorite ways:
    BBQ. Follow Nikibone's recipe but shred it between forks after it has cooked:
    http://www.nikibone.com/recipe/crockpot/barbecuedvenison.html

Venzin subs
    Fry up medallion sized pieces in butter salt and onions. Place on a sub roll and toast with cheese on top.

If you are feeling lazy, it tastes great used in Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Best advice I can give you is its a very Lean Meat,so do not over cook.

big rockpile

7. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Use venison in ANY beef recipe, just don't cook as long as beef. The steaks would be best cooked Med. rare for tenderness and flavor. Venison, having NO fat/marbling get real tough when well-done.

8. SFM in KY

SFM in KY Well-Known Member Supporter

I grew up on venison, our beef was our "cash crop" and not for our table.

Loin steaks: Cut fairly thin (not as thick as beef filet) dredge in flour, sear on both sides in hot skillet with bacon grease, if you have it, then cook until done. (We never ate rare meat of any kind.)

Round steak: Pound with meat pounder to tenderize, then cook as with loin steaks. Also extremely good as swiss steak. We seared the meat on both sides, in the cast iron dutch oven, then added a quart of canned tomatoes, a sliced onion and put in the oven on medium heat (350 or so as I remember) until fork tender.

Roasts: We did very few roasts as it was difficult to get the roast cooked without being very dry. The best results I had was to wrap the roast with bacon strips.

Stew: We used most of the "normal" roast cuts and all the bits and pieces as stew. Treat just like beef in your normal beef receipes.

9. HeavenHelpMe

HeavenHelpMe Well-Known Member

I put some of mine through the food processor to make ground meat, throw in some garlic salt and pepper and make beautiful hamburgers out of it. If I don't grill them, I pan fry them in olive oil. You have to turn them often though, in my experience. They burn and get crusty very easily in cast iron, which is all I fry in now.

I cook steaks and roasts just like beef as well, but I soak my meat in milk overnight first. That's the method we like to get rid of the gamey taste with, and it tenderizes the meat a little as well (enzymes in the milk). Makes fantastic homemade sloppy joes, too. :dance:

10. Marialys

Marialys Proud to be a Troll!

I use it the same way that I use beef. Only difference is that when I'm not using fresh venison I thaw it in cold, lightly salted water (which removes most of the "gamey" taste for those who "don't like" venison because it's "too gamey").

One of the BEST marinades for venison that I have ever had I have to admit that desperation caused me to come up with. Bear in mind that I cook for a small army so amounts will have to be adjusted for "normal" cooking. I took about a cup of EVOO, added salt, pepper and about 2T of Tupperware Southwest Chipotle seasoning to it along with the juice of a lemon. Marinated the steaks in it for about an hour, threw them on the grill and they were positively scrumptious in addition to being tender and juicy.

11. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Yes! Good tips and advice from everyone! I also cook with venison same as I would cook with beef - stews, stroganoff, chili, etc. Also, thinly sliced steaks or roast, marinated overnight makes great jerky!

NeHi Mama