Cooking with Old Appliances??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Nov 1, 2005.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............I love hotcakes and I cook them on a Faberware electricial hotplate that my mother started using back in the early 1950's. The cord needed some work but I cut out the defective piece and spliced it back together . I accidentially broke one short piece of a leg off but was able to epoxy it back together .
    ...............I also found a Pressure cooker that she used to cook all kinds of vege's in . It is a "Magic Seal" , 4 quart model . It has a presure sensitive device that sits on top of an external value stem looking thing and when the internal pressure reaches a predetermined Psi it will start allowing the pressure to escape , which means I would guess that you're supposed to reduce the heat . I have no documentation so I haven't experimented with it ....Yet ! I'm not a very good cook but If I live to be a 136 I might become proficient , let's hope . fordy... :eek: :)

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I want a wood cookstove. My wife doesnt, but someday she is going to come home from work, and find a new chimney, and a wood cookstove,lol

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I have a couple Farberware rottisorie(sp) indoor grillers.Great and cheap from thrift stores.High quality item,makes a great chicken.I inject the bird with Catalina salad dressing(3/4 bottle),and baste with it(1/4 bottle).Even a store bought chicken,cooked to blackened on this machine,tastes really good.

BooBoo

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Michigan farmer:

Put the stove in your shop or shed...eventually she will wonder where you are and will have to visit. After she gets addicted to the stove, make her beg for one of her own.

5. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

The thing that sits on the "valve stem" is a weight----you would adjust your tempature till the weight would jiggle a couple times a minute after the steam starts coming out. My Girlfriend felt she was not a very good cook and when it comes to Southern Homecooking---She needs some lessons, but she cooks things we both like that She knows how to cook and does a good job----I am not loosing weight from Starving LOL. If I want some Southern Cooking-----Hey I can cook a Meal for her, because I can Cook Southern Style---LOL---and she learns by watching. So Stop downing your Cooking---------I bet You can Cook Alot of Things---------GOOD!!. Randy