Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my boar slaughtered. During that time heard about boar taint. I had my boar to close to my sow during her farrow time. The butcher warned me.
The smell and sometimes taste is over powering. But i dont want to waist the meat. Ive searched and cant find any recipes online. Only heard mexican spices work..
So main point..

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY GOOD COOKING RECIPES FOR TAINTED BOAR MEAT?

Please and thanks.

·
Registered
844 Posts
We don't eat grown boars and the price is so low not worth taking them to market, I would not give them to the dogs, dogs shouldn't eat pork. well not anymore than a small taste/last bite base on the dog.

but a strong spiced sausage could also a good soak in Milk like you would do for bear meat or BBQ

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,433 Posts
“Is it Safe for Dogs to Eat Pork?
While this is an area some owners might debate, the answer is a little more involved than just a straight yes or no. It is safe to eat pork, but there are certain conditions that must be adhered to if you plan to feed your dog the “other white meat.” Plain pork is safe for dogs to eat, as long as you keep it simple and leave off the bells and whistles people tend to cook with.”

akc.com

Reactions: Wudwu2012

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I'm sorry but I can't help with the boar taint. However, I do feed my dogs pork. BUT a little goes a long way! Some people can't eat pork without it giving them the trots (my sister was one so it was off the menu when she came on holiday) and dogs and cats are the same. Both will get it fed to them once every couple of months if it's available and they have no side effects. I wouldn't feed it every night for a week as I know I would have barfing dogs and cats. It's a pretty dense and rich meat.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
6,530 Posts
My dogs eat a lot of pork with no problem at all. I make all of their dog food and they get pork often because it is cheaper than giving them beef and it has more calories than chicken.

I don't give salt cured meats to the dogs, so they don't get ham or bacon, but I buy pork sirloins and fresh uncured hams by the 40 pound box and not a bit of trouble with it.

I am careful about the percentage of fat in their food. Dogs can digest a lot of fat, but they aren't good at dealing with a huge load of fat they are unaccustomed to. If they are built up to it, they can digest and use a very high percentage of fat, but not a sudden occurrence that is out of the ordinary. Maybe the excess and unaccustomed fat is what people have gotten in trouble with when they feed pork to their dog.

If I had a big boar and it had taint, the dogs would get it and if I had wild pigs in the area, my dogs would be eating wild pig meat (fully and completely cooked to kill parasites )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts