Cooking Mangels?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JAS, Aug 7, 2005.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I am growing lots of mangels for the livestock and noticed on the discription for one of them that they are "Excellent table quality or superb stock feed." So, how would I go about cooking these for table use? Anybody with yummy mangel recipes?

I also read about a recipe for mangel wine, that I need to find. Thanks.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you suppose they would cook them the same as redbeets? I have tasted redbeet wine. You'd need to be a real wino to appreciate that stuff.

3. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Isn't a "mangel" just a good ole rutabaga in disguise?? If so, you cut it in half with a large sharp knife (I usually whack it through the thing with a hammer). Then you lay it on a cutting board with the flat side down and slice a little bit off each end. They you slice them about as thick as a slice of bread. Then peel the outside off. Then cut each "slice" into cubes about the size of croutons. Put in a pot and boil in salted water like you would potatoes, with a lid on it only tipped a bit to let some of the steam out. It will take a while to cook them. They are done when you can stick a fork in them -- just like a potato. Then mash them up with butter, salt and pepper if you like it; just like mashed potatoes -- only no milk. The more butter and salt the better in my opinion.

By the way - we don't generally try eating them until after they've been touched by the frost in the fall. I've seen recipes for rutabaga cakes and pie, too. Bet you could search it in the Google search engine. Good luck!

Uncle Will, I could make you some "red beet" or "rutabaga" wine" you'd like to drink all right!! lol I think what you had might not have been let sit and age long enough! hehehehehe

MaryNY

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Isn't a mangel a sugar beet? They fed them to the horses in Ireland when I lived there.

5. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

A mangel is a stock beet. They grow very large and are sweet, probably not as sweet as a sugar beet. Livestock love them, tops and bottoms.

Just wondering about the "table quality" part. Cannot for the life of me find a recipe for them. I don't think they are like a rutabaga, but did find a description that said they are milder than a beet and more like a potatoe in flavor?

6. Farmer K

Farmer K Homesteader-@-Heart

JAS,

Where did you get your stock? Are they sold as seeds or what? I've read about feeding them to livestock and I'd likt to try it but don't know where to get them. Thanks

Kelly

7. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Farmer K, I got seed from Shumways. Here is a link to the mangel page.

https://www.rhshumway.com/shumsite/shumsitebrowse.aspx?category=962

I have tried the Colossal Long Red and the Golden Eckendorf. The Colossal's are very large (foot long and four to five inches wide) and seemed to grow faster. This is my first year with the Eckendorf so am not sure about the finished size. I thin out the plants through-out the season and give it to the pigs and goats, they go nuts over the leaves. The chickens are suppose to like them too, but I never thought of them last year, they got all the zucchini instead.

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I read that subject as "Cooking Mongrels?"

I was gonna say the guy I know that cooks mongrels does so like any other meat but I found the end product somewhat greasy.

9. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

they are great in a pot roast or any kinda stew, you can boil and mash them like taters , and they are tasty cut thin and fried in bacon grease :goodjob:

10. nebula5

nebula5 Well-Known Member

I grew the yellow mangels a few years; we used them just like beets. The only way my family will eat them is diced and boiled, then chilled with a curry dressing on them. Here's the dressing recipe-- may have to double if you're cooking more than 1 mangel!

Honey Curry Dressing for Beets

2 Tbsp. veg oil
    3 Tbsp. lemon juice
    2 Tbsp. white vinegar
    1/4 cup honey
    1 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

Whisk together and pour over diced, cooked beets. Refrigerate or at least a few hours before serving.