Cooking colard greens?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Firethorn, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

I am sorry for posting here about this but DH is really wanting greens for Easter. I bought some and vowed to learn to cook them. Can anyone help with a great recipe and any tips?

2. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Wash em, cut em, drop em in the crock pot with a couple of smoked ham hocks, add enought water to float em and slow cook them overnight. If you take some out for Easter Dinner and put them on top of your head, your tongue will slap your brains out trying to get a taste.

3. Firethorn

:D I cant stop laughing! Thanks I needed that!

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I never liked greens, but I guess I wasn't exposed to a recipe like that. I'll furnish the ham hocks if I can watch that brain slappin'!

5. Firethorn

Grandma made them with what I think was egg. and maybe onion? I loved that woman and I cant ask her now. She would cook for an army. All that southern good cookin. I hate collard greens! and poke salad and turnip greens. I only recently got to liking fried green tomatoes. Hate liver, but love fried pork chops. Her apple crisp was to die for! She was the type that if she knew you were coming she fixed each persons favorite dish. When she past away I got one of her afghans(my uncle gave his up for me) her cupie dolls, I always played with them as a kid they are plastic rubber and squeak. There were two and for years they sat on a shelf. And her cookbook. with some pieces of paper that she wrote other recipes on. Most of it was all in her head. That must be where the greens recipes are.
    Sorry. Funny how the talk of food brings back the ones you love. :eek:

6. clamjane

clamjane Well-Known Member

The way I fix them is to first fry up a couple of strips of bacon in a pot. Add some the chopped up greens then some water and then stir in about a half of teaspoon of baking soda and let them cook. They really stink up the house while cooking, but they taste a lot better than they smell.

7. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

The above are all good, but now I cook mine like this.
    Wash the greens and stack the leaves. Roll them up like a big cigar and slice very thinnly and add a chopped onion
    Using olive oil, saute a couple cloves (or 4-5 :bow: ) garlic in a large pot
    dump the onions and greens in and sprinkle on a little soy sauce.
    stir for a bit then put the top on and let them steam in the juices for 10 minutes or so.
    Take the top off and start stirring again. turn the heat up and cook them down till the juice is about gone.
    Eat

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I'm not suppose to have Greens :Bawling: but I will eat some Polk just a little later.

big rockpile

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I stir fry mine with garlic and put a little vinegar on them. mmmmmmm

10. vickiesmom

vickiesmom Well-Known Member

First remove the stems, because they are very bitter. Wash your greens and remove any with holes, etc. Put in pot with just enough water to cover, because they will cook down. I cook mine with two white onions, sliced...and three ham hocks, garlic salt, pepper, and just a few red pepper flakes. Yummy!!!!!

11. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Always used salt pork and a ham hock...cut out the stems, rolled em up like the aformentioned cigar and sliced...drop a whole jalapeno pepper in the pot and simmer away....serving suggestions include sliced onions, or tomatoes.

12. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

For myself,I just cook them down and eat them. Sometimes,I fry them in a little oil after they're cooked down. Maybe add some vinegar.
    If I am cooking for other people,I add pork or atleast fry them in pork drippings.

13. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

fat back, ya gotta have fat back!
    Fry it and save the greese~ then pour it all in the pot.
    here in MO. it is darn near impossible to find! Bacon will work but you gotta add a little salt, the ham hock is also good. I roll them and cut them after getting rid of the stems also. After boiling them serve them with vinegar and or my choice is pepper vinegar!

14. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I don't eat pork, so I use smoked turkey instead. I also use chicken or beef stock instead of water. I had onion and 1 or 2 cayenne peppers or a few dashes of Texas Pete. :D

15. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

My mother always mixed them with mustard greens or turnip greens
    for some reason? Sure was good w/ pan-fried cornbread! I remember
    a recipe I used once where you chop up an apple and add some balsamic
    vinegar (as well as a few slices of bacon). Turned out pretty good.
    james

16. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Dont forget the packed green tobasco peppers hot sauce for character.

17. Twogun

Twogun Zone 5

If you live near Buffalo,MO. check out 'Buffalo Locker', they do retail, or check out your local locker. Most dont do retail, but those that do, sell better quality meat at a lower cost than the supermarkets and you dont pay for a bunch of water that is pumped (legaly) into the meat. At least that is what I've found to be the case at 'Buffalo Locker'.

18. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Serve with beans and cornbread.

19. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

We had egg mixed in with our "Poke" salad, but I don't remember it being part of any collard dish. We always planted turnip greens, rake, and kale together as a mix. It worked well together, and of course, an onion or garlic or hot pepper makes almost anything better.

20. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

collards are best after a frost hits um We always planted them in the fall of the year.