Cooking and heating with wood stove

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ihedrick, Dec 7, 2006.

1. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

I'm making a go of trying to heat my place with only wood this year and boy have I learned alot already! I'm excited that last night I finally used the oven part of my wood cook stove to bake a cake. :dance: Anyway, with all the options with the wood cook stove I'd like to know how others use theirs...Do you open the damper to heat the oven for generating heat in the kitchen? Or do you leave it closed and let the heat stay in the box where the wood goes? I have a Knox Meal Master stove in my kitchen and another small wood stove in the living room; both to generate heat. BUt I would like to start cooking on the wood stove too.
    What kind of pans do you use on and in a wood stove? If things go good with the wood stove; I'll move the electric oven out to the barn for the winter and free up some kitchen space!

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself has cooked on a wood range for most of our 35 years, and it is the only means of cooking we have in our home today. We also heat with wood, but have an LP furnace for backup; you can't have to many backup heat sources in Northern Minnesota.

3. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We've used a wood cookstove for about 5 years now. It's a 1917 Genesee wood cookstove that we use from about Sept to April for heating and also cooking. We do have an apartment size LP stove out in the summer kitchen for back-up but this is RARELY used during this time. We use a LOT of cast iron pans and also a set of heavy kettles by Martha Stewart from K-Mart. Our Revereware copper bottoms seemed to not sit flat on the stove top and would wobble when cooked and not heat evenly.
    When using the oven, we can adjust the oven damper and divert the heat around the oven box. No need to do this if you need heat for inside the kitchen. Just having the stove burning is enough for us. In fact, we have a fan set-up to blow the warm air into the rest of the house.

Cooking on the wood stove was really easy to learn. The entire surface is hot so you just move your kettles around to find the right degree of heat for what you wish to cook. You'll learn about different types of wood and the heat that each can generate. Have fun!