converting used gas stove to propane

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SquashNut, May 23, 2006.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I am trying to convert a wood shop to a summer/canning kitchen.
    I have found a few used gas cook tops. Can any one tell me how to tell if they have already been converted to propane or how to go about getting the parts to do it.
    i hesitate to buy a used stove top with out having some Idea on how to do this.

2. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

It would be hard to tell by looking at it. For propane, the "orfice" (or gas jet) is much smaller than for naturl gas. This is not the orfice on your burners, but in the line that blows toward the burners. The best thing to do is by the stove, take it by the gas company and ask them (if you can't ask the previous owner. Converting it over just costs a couple bucks for the orfices.
    Hope this helps. :)

3. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

All it takes to change a stove or cook top from natural gas to propane is to switch the "orifices" on the burners (each burner I think) - each type of gas has its own specific orifice (save the old ones in case you ever want to change it back). Any appliance repair person or your propane gas company's service person should be able to handle it for you -- unless you have a handy relative or friend who might know how to do it. Propane gas company might do it for free just so you will use their propane. If it is a cook top only and doesn't weigh much, why not drag it in to an appliance repair place or the propane place and ask them to tell you if it has the correct orifices on it. Good luck!

MaryNY

4. frugalville

frugalville Well-Known Member

Not only do you need to change the orfices out, but you may need to check the pressure regulator as well. Most have a removable place with a spring and regulator piece. SOmetimes you just reverse and reinstall, others require a new piece.

Since you are going from gas to propane, the pressure is doubled if I recall correctly. You should have a saftey pressure regulator entering the home/area off of your tank. I don't know 100% if the regualtor on the stove is redundant, but I know a cooktop I did flip once had one.

If it is ste for NG, in may not let enough pressure in the line for propane. Again, good advise to have the gas co. check it out. They also can come test for leaks with a simple meter. (which may be more piece of mind than the soapy water).

Best.

5. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

6. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

If you know the manufacturer, you can go on line, call, or write, for a conversion kit.
    If it's an old one, you need to solder and re drill to the correct size and that depends on the BTU of each burner.
    You will have to change the regulator for sure.
    I did an old one and I gotta tell you nobody wanted to fool with it, liability issue.
    Best way is to contact the propane company or the manufacturer.

7. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member