Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to convert a car or truck to LP? LP at a $1.46 summer fill price versus gas at over $3.00 a gallon and it wouldn't take long for the conversion to pay for itself. Even my LP company has converted their trucks and the state has been doing it for years.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
You don't get the same milage in your car as with gas. So yes it will take a long time to recover the cost. The main thing is to have a motor that can be set for LP. The computiors in cars will keep it from working in them without many flashing lights. All that you need is a tank Usualy a 80 lassion tank and a vaporisior. Runing on LP is diferent than runing on gas. It is hard to start cold and may even have to have gas to use for starting until the heat is built up. Most LP engines use 80 galions every 8 hours. It doesn't make a lot of diference wheither you are going fast or slow. The only way that I would use LP is if I was going to run all day on the road around 8 hours. LP is not for stop and go or shourt drives.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
ibcnya said:
How hard is it to convert a car or truck to LP? LP at a $1.46 summer fill price versus gas at over $3.00 a gallon and it wouldn't take long for the conversion to pay for itself. Even my LP company has converted their trucks and the state has been doing it for years.
...................At a 1.46 per gallon I can almost guarantee you that there is NO road taxes added too a 1.46 . You also have to purchase a tax stamp in most states to run propane on an over the road vehicle . Plus filling up at odd times could be a real problemo . , fordy

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
It didn't used to be hard to convert engines to run on LPG. In the 1970s I went to a school while working for a LPG dealer to learn to do the conversions.

The modern carburetion systems and ignition systems are much different than what I dealt with.

My experience has been much different than Old Vets and much more positive to be sure.

My fuel economy was only 1 mpg difference between fuels. More power after rebuilding a worn out engine and setting it up specifically for LPG. I used a dual fuel set up that allowed switching between gasoline and LPG. If you travel long distances and need to fill up before getting to your local fill point you might want to consider that. Better to run on only one fuel if you can.

As stated you will need to pay the proper road taxes on fuel purchased for highway use. This chart shows Iowa has 20¢ per gallon tax plus the 18.4¢ per gallon federal tax. http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp
================
In addition to the carburetor equipment you will need a regulator/converter to change the liquid propane into vapor. It uses engine coolant to provide the heat to ensure vaporization.

I use an exhaust gas analyzer to make the proper fuel settings for best starting and fuel economy without burning valves from too lean a mixture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts