Converting NG Water heater to Propane

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by sylvar, Apr 11, 2006.

1. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

What parts do I need to Convert an Natural Gas water heater to Propane? I just got a free water heater that I want to use to Pre-heat water for my chicken scalder. No NG service at the barn, so I just want to be able to hook a propane tank to it and kick it on when I need it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Shane

2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Normally it's just a nozzle size change. Any appliance store should be able to look it up for you.

3. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Cool! that sounds cheap!

Thanks!

Shane

4. twohawlks

twohawlks Member

My understanding on this is at one time you just changed the orfice
    but a fed. law now prohibits this and you can not get the parts anymore.
    twohawlks

5. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Nope. Appliances are still routinely sold with the nozzles for both natural gas and propane in areas like mine where rural folk are on bottled propane and the city folk have natural gas lines.

6. chuckhole

chuckhole Born city, love country

My stove was sold as both LPG and NG but my Water Heater is LPG only and cost about $60 more than the LPG.

Did they see me coming or is there a difference on some applliances but not others?

7. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Some appliances, such as gas stoves, can be converted from one to the other. Water heaters can not be legally changed.

8. jefferson

jefferson fuzzball in the Cascades

"Water heaters can not be legally changed" Why??????

9. countrymech

countrymech Well-Known Member

I installed a new 60 gallon waterheater last fall and it came with the orifices for both natural gas and propane. So did our new stove. I swapped them both over myself. Took about 15 minutes. As far as illegal, thats a new one. It might just be a local code thing. Now that I think of it, every appliance I've ever purchased for propane has come from the factory set-up for natural gas and had to be converted on site. Always ticks me off because they charge more for propane appliances and then I have to do it myself. Good luck.

10. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Okay, I wanted to be sure I was giving the correct information, so I checked with a plumbing rep who sells for a large wholesale plumbing company. According to him, and the guy HE checked with, commercial water heaters can be converted from one to the other, but residential cannot.