Converting a nat. gas stove...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tracy Rimmer, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

... to propane?

Can this be done? I have a really good stove that I bought when we moved to Alberta -- but it's natural gas. We have just purchased a property in Manitoba, and there is no natural gas in the area we've bought. Can I have my stove converted, or would it make more sense to just buy a propane stove?

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Best to have a Licensed Gas Tech do the conversion job for you. I think the conversion has to do with changing the gas pressure and possibly the fuel nozzle's of the stove.

Oh yeah.....conversion from natural gas to propane is possible.... :)

3. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

4. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

They install new orifices for all the burners and the broiler/oven, and maybe adjust the pressure or something like that, if necessary. So that shouldn't be too expensive a service call. The service tech can check for leaks and all that good stuff, too, while there.

Good luck!

MaryNY

5. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

With our new gas stove we just had to flip the orifices over, in the one before this we had to slide a collar up - both times the instructions were given in the manual and no new parts were needed. Of course we bought the stoves knowing we had propane only so it is possible that not all stoves are as easy as this.

6. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

If you have ever seen a home blown to smithereens because of a gas or propane leak you would never hesitate to utilize a Licensed Gas Tech. That's all I have to say on this matter.

7. Fla Gal

mistletoad, you're one of the fortunate ones that's able to do it on your own.

Tracy, because you didn't know the stove was convertible, I've got to ditto dagwood again. I wouldn't attempt it. MaryNY gave you some excellent advise. Call around, get estimates.

8. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Oh, no -- I would DEFINITELY go with a professional -- I don't mess with gas or propane leaks!

I just didn't know if it was POSSIBLE, or if I had to buy a new stove. Thanks, everyone!

Tracy

9. Fla Gal

Oops! Sorry for going off topic but sometimes some of us get worried about others trying to do the job themselves and causing tragic results.

Do you think sometimes we worry too much? :angel:

10. arbutus

arbutus Well-Known Member

The pressure of LP in the house should be 11 inches of water column. The manufacturer should sell a kit (with instructions) for somewhere between 20 and 50 dollars. It should be fairly simple to do.

11. bare

bare Head Muderator

I've probably installed a dozen gas stoves over the last 20 years and all of them were convertable from propane to natural gas. If you don't have your manual anymore, order another one. The actual switch is pretty staight forward.

If you lift the top of your stove and look at your regulator, you may find that it has a notation for natural gas or propane.

12. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

You are going to need propane to use it. The propane dealer will convert it gladly. Should just cost a few dollars. And it would be hard to screw up a conversion in such a way as to cause an explosion. If you think it would be, you might want to just buy a new stove, cuz do you know a professional tech you trust with your life :shrug: :D
    Seriously, its a very simple job.

13. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Our stove has directions for converting back and forth between NG and propane. I did the conversion myself and it took about an hour. No parts were needed.

:)

14. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

We installed our new gas stove about 1 year ago -- it came with one part to be installed if you were using Propane -- it was already set to use natual gas so we didn't have to worry about conversion.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

15. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

All I found available came set up for natural gas (For city folks), but, all also included parts necesary to convert to LP. You may well have an envelope attached to stove that contains all necesary parts/instructions. Worth looking at least!

16. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

As someone already said, your propane company would probably do it for you.

My husband or son has always done it when it was needed, but they know what to do.

Gas or Propane is something you cannot be too concerned about - so better safe than sorry.

17. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

I, too, bought a used one that had been set up for natural. i wanted to install a canning kitchen, after i found my elec was useless for this--our gas co. , the one we use to fill tanks, wants 50.00 to change the burners. i dont think this is cheap.