Convert to pellet stove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Christiaan, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I looked at a website last year that offered a steel box that would allow you to burn pellets in a regular wood stove. I can't find the URL and Googling has been no help. Anyone heard of this and have an URL.
    Thanks.

2. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

The big downside of pellet stoves is the constant fan that needs to run in order to burn the pellets. Some can be downright noisy. don't know about the adaptor but only wanted to ask you to reconsider. I hated our pellet stove and got rid of it first chance that came down the road. Whar benefits are you looking foward by making the transition between pellets and wood.

3. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

We leased a house for six years on the river that had one. The niose of the fans used to drive us crazy... and it was a high dollar one.
    When the power went out we had to run the generator to use the pellet stove to stay warm. What a pain. I would never have one again.

4. DakotaBrat

DakotaBrat Well-Known Member

The company that makes them is www.energex.com. I've been looking into them myself but there is no one in Canada that has heard about them. Hope this helps.

5. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

brother has a pellet stove (cheap one)...the noise from the fan/auger is very annoying...i could probably stand it, but others may not be able too...also the cost of pellets isn't that cheap when you consider you'll go through a bag a day (atleast in his/in WI)+the cost of the stove...

6. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Interesting that id does not need a fan or auger but consider this:

What about safety? Will it burn too hot?
    The Prometheus has been safety tested to applicable UL/ULC standards. In fact due to the smaller size of the basket relative to the firebox you will get less extreme temperatures when using the Prometheus compared to dry cord wood

Does 'less extreme temperatures' mean that it won't heat worth a dang?

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

8. R.

R. Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I was suckered into buying one of those wood pellet adaptors for the woodstove. Thought it would be a good idea if I couldn't get outside to gather wood, I would have a spare bag of pellets inside. The pellets in the adaptor smoked so much and the pellets were hard to get started. It was a waste of money. Just throw the pellets in the woodstove. They will burn just as well as in that adaptor.

9. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Thanks everyone, I'll be checking out the links. I wanted the adaptor because with my arthritis chopping for the stove has become both painful and dangerous (hatchet flying out of the hand is not good!). Because we have frequent, though usually short, outages a regular pellet stove would be useless when we need it most. Pellets are also the cheapest fuel available around here.