Convection Counter Oven's

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jeannie242, Nov 7, 2004.

1. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

I for one hate to fire up my big gas oven for a small pan or 1 pizza. I have been looking into Convection Counter Oven's.
    Has anyone here used them? If so what is your opinion on how they cook? Thanks Jeannie

2. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I have a Toastmaster countertop convection oven. I love it. For some reason it cooks food faster than a regular oven and doesn't heat up the house as much as the larger ovens do. I live alone so this is the only oven I use. I can fix myself a full meal in it. They are handy.

I've delegated the big oven, which I haven't used since I moved in this house, to storage of all my cast iron pots and pans. IMHO, you won't regret buying one.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I don't have one, but my mom has had one for years. She loves that thing. She uses it for everything!

Meg :)

4. jeannie242

Could I ask what model you have? Will it hold a good size cake pan? Thanks Jeannie

5. Grandma's Cabin

Grandma's Cabin Well-Known Member

My daughter got one of these for their place.. it's a small cottage (our guest cottage actually) and it only has a kitchenette. While it's not the cheapest option, after checking several out, the Delongi was decided on because 1. size and what it can handle. 2. Enamel pans, which I think hold up much better and longer to cleaning.. most of the others had teflon coating.

Linen's and Things or Bed Bath and Beyond often send out 20% coupons and ed Bath and Beyond honors both. Combine that with a sale and you can sometimes get a great deal.

Grandma

6. Fla Gal

Jeannie,

I think the model I have is no longer available. I got it from Best Buy about three years ago for $119. It's not a tiny oven but it isn't huge either. I've done 10lb turkeys in it and they turn out perfect. I do dinners or sometimes just a sweet potato or potato with veggies I can slather with butter.

I have the model 7093A. I found this link for the model 7093S which is close to mine it and it seems the only difference is mine can be used as a dehydrator and the S model can't. Hope this helps you.
    http://tinyurl.com/56abq

7. Fla Gal

I forgot to add, mine doesn't have a nonstick interior. It's all stainless steel. The nonstick teflon stuff off-gasses and the fumes can kill birds in your house. Also, here's a link that might help you decide.

Featured Convection Ovens
    http://tinyurl.com/2l5an

8. jeannie242

Thanks for the links, jeannie

9. majic99

majic99 Well-Known Member

i have one and love it, pretty much all I use. I bought it on ebay last year to replace a smaller one I had for about 8 years before.

10. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I have a Sharp - Carousel II - convection microwave oven - that I use for everything. Only problem is you can't use 9 x 13 pans or roast a turkey in it. There are accessories like a rack where you can bake two layers of cake batter at the same time and some things I haven't even tried in the 6 years that I've had it. And the best part is we purchased it at a yard sale for $20.

Marlene

11. Fla Gal

Excellent price Marlene. You did good on that deal. :cool:

12. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

sure did get a great price...

I too have a convection/microwave oven and am very happy with it's performance while I don't use it for larger tasks such as roasting a turkey it serves well for not costing as much as a large oven for small things.

13. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree. I've had mine for about twenty years and it still works great. In case mine finally does wear out, do they still make these?

14. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

brands still the same but different models by now....wow.. talk about expensive.
    Looked at one for the MIL and was pricing them around $600 or so

15. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I have a GE spacesaver convection/microwave oven. When i cook cookies in it on my stoneware, they come out even better than usual. I find it takes forever (longer than big oven) to preheat - anyone know anything about that? Other than that i do like it.