Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
The Forestry Service performed two controlled burns for me this winter. They were very professional and well equipped. A fire lane was cleared around the perimeter of each plot and inmates (trained and properly attired and equipped) from the state detention center were placed at intervals around the property. This was done in a rather inhabited community and all went perfectly. Additionally, I heard no gripping from any of the neighbors. I have one additional burn scheduled but it may be canceled due to getting off schedule attributable to the weather. The burn does a lot more than what chipping could accomplish.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
well, the government up here in BC finally figured it out- we had a devastating season of forest fires, did millions of dollars of damage, and they paid big bucks for a ''study''- and guess what- it came in with exactly what we all knew[ and used to do years ago]-controlled burning is the best way of eliminating the build up of debris that makes forest fires much more severe.The practice of controlled burning drew the fire from the ''environmental '' groups who said the smoke contributed to damaging the ozone layer- and their very vocal lobbying curtailed the practise of controlled burning- and last summer we had the mother of forest fires that wiped out whole rural communities- plus got into some urban neighbourhoods and burned blocks of new housing.
So- we're back to what we knew all along- fire is a natural part of the environment, and in fact essential to the forestry cycle- it cleans up the forest, kills insects , and creates habitat for wildlife.We've been stopping forest fires, and the gypsy moth is out of control, so they are spraying for that-so what's better- let the forest fires cleanse the land , or spray insecticide?You get a little sick of these self styled armchair environmentalists after a while, most of them have never set foot in the woods.
Fire has nothing to do with Gypsy moth.
In BC we do some burning, but you have to realize there is a cost to it and no one wants to pay.
Also on much of BC now, you have beetle killed stands which cannot have a pb done.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
If I remember correctly, one of the huge fires they recently had out West somewhere started out as a controlled burn which got out of hand. It is not something which should be done by amateurs.

Ken S. in WC TN
We call those over achievement. And it is a disaster when it happens.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Instead of "controlled" burns which have the potential to get out of control, why not do rototilling, chipping, and shredding? Plow some of the stuff back into the soil, sell the rest or give it away to the locals.
Who will pay the cost?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts