Contracted Tendons? What should I do?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by rman, May 7, 2006.

1. rman

rman Member

I went to look at some calves today to keep the grass down in the pasture and put some meat in the freezer. One of the calves was a nice looking Holstein bull calf but his front feet were knuckled under. I looked in "Storey's Guide to Rasing Beef Cattle" and it looks like contracted tendons. The book says that mild cases usually get better without treatment but that serious cases might need surgery. Is it worth messing with this animal if the price is right or am I just asking for trouble? If I don't buy him he will get sent to the sale barn tomorrow. I feel sorry for the little guy and if I knew there was a good chance he'd be OK I'd be glad to take him home but I don't want to pay a vet to operate on him. What are the chances that he will get better on his own? What am I getting myself into?

2. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

MOst will come out of it in a week or two.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

You big softie. :) Although I've not had the experience with calves I understand from other people that most will come right within a few weeks.
    My experience has been with lambs, one so bad that all four legs were useless to him. It took just over two weeks before he could stand and walk on his own and he now a huge 3 year old. I would take the punt and ask for a few dollars off because I doubt that the cocky will get too much for him at the sale barn.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

If Holstein calf with contracted tendons stands, or even walks on knuckles with front feet turned under, I would try for a price reduction and buy it.
    If calf does not stand or just falls over after you lift it to a standing position, I would pass. We've had them over the years with contracted tendons. Never had one that didn't walk and look normal by 30 days of age.