Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow... I know parents can't always control all their children's behaviors.. but the Contraceptive Pill given to 10-11-12 year olds in the UK ???? I know that with age I've fallen out of the loop but holy cow...

The report found that almost 5,000 underage girls are taking the pill, double the amount of 2001.

It is estimated that as many as 18 girls aged 10 were given the tablets, between 2001 and 2004.

Currently around a dozen 11-year-old, 80 girls aged 12 and 260 youngsters aged 13, are on the pill along with four per cent of 14-year-olds and one in 10 of 15-year-olds.

It is not known if any of the girls’ parents know they are on the drug or if any of the cases were reported to police.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/12855

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
My wifes 10 year old niece is on the pill . not because shes sexually active but to help regulate her cycle and reduce cramping

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think thats a bit different than what they are talking about here. The wife informs me that parents don't have to be notified here in the states either but she doesn't know if there is a cut off age.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
I suspect not all of them are sexually active NOW but are likely to be at a later time. If they get in the habit of taking the pill, they will either a) be protected from an unplanned/unwanted pregnancy if sexually active or b) think a bit about becoming sexually active and the even worse things than getting pregnant (HIV, STDs etc). The longer they wait to be sexually active, the better AND the more informed they may be. And I suspect it isn't a "here is the pill, just take it" situation, some fact based education is part of the deal. Giving your child a gun doesn't mean they will murder someone. Doesn't mean they'll shoot anything at all.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Does anyone know what are the long term health effects of putting a young adolescent on hormones like that?

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
First thing that came to my mind, too, Sheepish... I would think later fertility issues, and God only knows what kinds of hormonal imbalances, would be a very likely outcome.
Kids that young can't possibly understand the greater ramifications of the pill, parents (if involved) likely aren't too informed, doctors push it at them... it's worrisome.

God forbid we teach our children better, just need to shove this pill at them so they don't get pregnant. Ugh.

·
Registered
634 Posts
PyroDon said:
My wifes 10 year old niece is on the pill . not because shes sexually active but to help regulate her cycle and reduce cramping
I went on it at around this age, but only because I started menses very early. It is very embarassing to be in a class of giggling 4th graders and be sent to the nurses office.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
sheepish said:
Does anyone know what are the long term health effects of putting a young adolescent on hormones like that?
And had no fertility problems. I think the pill itself will not cause fertility problems and if you have fertility problems, they were already there. Now a lot of 'problems' are caused by chalmydia, an STD and IMHO, of which the pill gets the blame.

·
Registered
865 Posts
That report is mostly just speculation. I would also come to the conclusion that a percentage of those girls had hormonal issues such as PCOS.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was not about parents taking their children to the doctor for hormonal issues. This is about 10-11-12- year old girls having sex with the frequency to need birth control and it is given without parents consent or knowledge. The age of consent is 13 in Scotland but even they have a problem with 10 year olds getting contraceptives.

Where are the parents ?
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/may/05051001.html

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Well, I would hope that if a child were having sex at that age contraceptives were being used. 10 years old is way too young to be giving birth or having an abortion.

And Danoon, I read the article. It doesn't say that the ten year olds are having sex. That part is speculation. What they say is that the people studying the stats don't know if the parents are aware the kids are on birth control or not. This includes the 15 and 16 year olds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts