continuation of my other thread... this one involves shelter styles

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Valduare, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Valduare

Valduare Well-Known Member

imagine yourself living in the woods no laws to worry about. just u and what you decided to bring with you to the woods. what style of house/shelter whould you start to build.

2. DragonLady

DragonLady Member

Honestly, as a child I always daydreamed about taking over a beaver lodge. They always seemed like the perfect place to live. It's already built, you get there by swimming, you're above the water inside, it's just the right size for a single person, and Mom would NEVER look for you there. :p

Nowadays...I'd just park an airstream. I like my running water, my gas stove, my bear-proof metal walls, my overhead lights.... All my creature comforts. :1pig:

3. Valduare

hehe you'd be hard press to find a man that'd live with you...... shrinkage problems in the winter swimmin into the home etc :)

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

To start I would build a temporary shelter to keep the weather off of me and my gear. I would then probably concentrate on building a log cabin. If I didn't have enough time before winter I would build sort of a half cabin/half dugout built into the side of a hill. I experimented with something like this in my timber and it went up surprisingly fast and even in winter is reasonably dry and easy to keep warm.

5. Evan Fryman

Evan Fryman Well-Known Member

Building Underground has always apealed to me,
    Underground For Camoflauge, Insulation, and Forest Fires !

But also like a Double log cabins, Hooked together with one
    Continous roof , But sepperated inthe middle to create a
    Large Brease way, Also the roof to be over hanging about
    12 feet all the way around for porch areas and wood storage !

I also like a Large room On stilts like a lookout tower !

A tree house would be cool also !

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Saw a guy who had a shelter in a hollowed out tree from a lightening stike.I also like caves and lean toos.Oh,and just saw an Indian shelter,it was a dugout with about 1 foot log walls and a log roof.

BooBoo

7. Valduare

try and snag some pic's of that

8. Valduare

9. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Would have to go with Quint on ths. Living in the woods = log cabin or a partial dugout/sod house. You would deffinately want to take advantage of the materials that nature provides. Wood, stone, natural caves or hills, etc.

I wouldn't be too concerned with camoflage.... as if there are no laws against living there, etc. there would be no one trying to find me.

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

The only practical shelter to make any sense in the northland would be a small log cabin that could be easy to heat and build.
    I would also make snow shelters like quinsys, which are basically snow caves and with very small heat source like a candle, will keep above freezing. You could survive at least. I would also utilize tree building some shelters or caches for food supplies high up to keep away from the wild animals.
    This method of living isn't actually unique. Many fur trappers live similar in some parts of the north.

11. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Given enough area, I think I would take a lesson from the Native Americans and use a tipi or other portable shelter. Why Stay in one spot and deplete it's resources (game, fire wood, etc.).

I think I'd have 3 camps summer, winter, and spring/fall. Spring fall would be the same so I could sow a garden and harvest it in the fall. Summer in the high country to avoid the heat and winter on a lower plain where it wouldn't have a harse winter.

12. Valduare

intresting thoughts unique so far to what other's are saying