Container tomato plants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by crashy, Jun 8, 2005.

1. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Ok heres a dumb ? My DD brought home a TON of tomato plants from her gardening club. I was thinking of leaving them in the pots and just training them on a fence. I think I will dig holes for the pots tho to contain moisture. What cha think?

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

How big are the pots? We are doing tomatoes in containers this year too. All of ours are 5 gallon or larger for tomatoes. You may have to water them more often because of the container.

3. pompeiijazz98

pompeiijazz98 Member

I am growing them in pots too, let me know how it all turns out. My pots are about a gallon each, so am keeping them well fed and watered. Fruit are growing well, and hope to add the lettuce soon to enjoy a great home-grown meal soon.

4. crashy

Mine are in gallon pots I hope it works :p

5. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I have grown them in plastic bags which Park Seed Co. sells with great luck. Had people come to look at them hanging off the poles, couldn't beleive their eyes. They started calling me the "bag lady" :)

6. crashy

What a concept....I wonder if you could grow em in black plastic pipe? Of course you would have to drill holes in the pipe. but you could hang them anywhere. I happen to have a piece I am going to try.

7. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I think black pipe might get too hot in the sun and cook the roots. White pipe wouldn't get as hot.

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

You can grow them in bags of compost or potting soil, just by cutting an X in the side to plant them. Melons, too.

Crashy, do you realize HOW MANY types of tomatoes there are? Red ones, pink ones, yellow, orange, white, green, striped, purple! YOU MUST GET MORE!!!!
    Bwwwaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Meg--who is becoming addicted to tomatoes and melons!

9. crashy

OOOOO Your right!!!! Wonder what would grow best in a pipe? Or a bag, or in a poop pile or, or, or.....OH thats it!!! You truly are an enabler just look at you!!! LOL
    I want purple tomatoes I am gunna have to go hunting :p :no:
    Meg we are a pair LOL A pair of what I dont know....LOL :haha:

10. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Here's your purple tomatoes, crashy...don't say I didn't warn you! You're gonna get addicted to tomatoes and melons form this place alone!

http://www.rareseeds.com/index.php?page=guide

hehehehehe
    :haha:

Meg

11. crashy

Cool another addiction!!! Our youngun was in garden club at school. They had thier plant sale and when I went to pick her up the teacher wanted to talk to me.
    He said that Martine was the only kid that didnt quit garden club so we could have ALL the plants we wanted!!! Boy I took advantage of that!!.
    She(Martine) is almost 12 and she says see momma look at the good value I got for us!!! How sweet she is!!
    We got tomatoes, flowers, herbs. I should be out planting them but my asthmas is making me a whimp today. I may go try later.
    And Meg I guess I am rich too!!!

12. njoynit

njoynit New Member

I grew a plant in a 4 gallon square plastic donut iceing container.I drilled 2 inch holes in the sides& planted marigolds& planted marigolds on top.sometimes I climbed a ladder to turn the hanger for other direction...for even sunning.I grew the tomato plants(2) out the bottom of the pot.were celebrity.

I believe they do better in ground,as more room& were much fuller this year.I do have some rootings of my lower stems going in containers right now,but will grow those in containers(trash can...purple& has a natural crack for drainage)these cuts are my fall croppers.I also grew some early girl this year and have decided I like those(grew a 6 pack)and grew 1 celebrity.I don't get much luck with seeds.....but if toss tomato slices in pile on ground and hubby covers with dirt...they WILL APPEAR growing in our road,just didn't work with the watermelon seeds tossed at same time.

13. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

How about 4" drain pipe? Check out my tomatoes. By the way all but two of the plants i got from somebody on here who gives away seeds every year.
    [​IMG] To see more pics visit Randys Hydroponics

14. crashy

Hey now.....Thats an idea I like that. :D

15. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Crashy -- I had a long talk with a friend of mine in Snohomish Co who is a big gardener. I mentioned how I need to get mason bees because my cherry trees have not set any cherries even though they were loaded with blossoms. He said that this is not a fruit year in the Pac NW. He said that because it has been so wet, only those fruit that tolerate moisture, like apples and blackberries, are going to do well. No cherries, no plums, and NO TOMATOES. And true enough, my apple trees are loaded. He said that's why people are giving away tomato plants, because no one is buying them, because it is not a fruit year. So if your tomato experiments fail, don't be surprised.

Be that as it may, I have always read that one should put a substantial portion of the stem of the tomato plant below soil level when transplanting, so that it will develop a big root system. Which I don't think you could do in 4 inch pipe. I use 35 or 50 gallon plastic drums cut in half, and I plant two tomatoes to a containter. If you keep the roots bound up in 1 gallon containers, you might get bonsai tomes! :haha:

16. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

The 4" pipe i use is part of a hydropoincs system. Yes i have had to give the tomatoes a "hair cut" twice because the roots were starting to clog the system. I am going to use what are called "Bato buckets" this fall. Basicly a 3 or 5 gallon bucket with a drain pipe that drains into a pipe which goes back to the resovoir. They should allow plenty of room for the roots without having to trim them. We'll see this fall. There are plenty of pictures and some links on my website about how i am growing things. This hydroponics is working a **** of a lot better than the cliche (sp?) clay soil we have here.

17. crashy

My plan on the 4" pipe was to make the pipe like 3-4ft long and bury the tom plant in the pipe leave a bout 10-12" and let the rest root.

18. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

We aren't supposed to get tomatos this year??

Someone forgot to tell my plants, because I'm gonna have trouble keeping p with the canning in about another week or so!

Meg

19. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

:confused:

20. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

:haha: I think it is just in the Pacific NW...Hey! Maybe you've got OUR tomatoes! Give them back!! :haha: