container gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HeatherDriskill, Aug 29, 2005.

1. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone! I have a few questions. Last year, my hubby and I were living in a house with a big yard. I had a little garden all planned out. However, in April we unexpectedly moved to a new town and a new apartment. I thought we would only be there a few months, but now I think we will be staying there until next April. I would like to try to grow something (even though fall and winter are coming). Is there anything I can plant and perhaps grow in a container or bucket on our balcony? Thanks for your help!

2. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Cherry tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, herbs, baby carrots. The latter four should make it through your winters with protection in zone 7 & 8 - January might be a little tough on succession planting however by late Feb you should be back in business! Just throw a light blanket over the planter if frost is coming.

3. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I tried some cherry tomatoes in a container this year, but forgot to water them.
    steff

4. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

I think I will try those. Thank you! If anyone has any helpful tips or hints, throw 'em my way. I've never grown anything myself before. That is why I want to do some things in containers. That way, at least I can get started learning before I actually have a garden.

5. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

There is a great book out by the same lady who wrote
    Lasgna gardening, called Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces.
    This will really blow you away with ideas and you'll be
    hooked!

The neat thing is if your container isn't too big,
    you can move it indoors by a sunny window and winter
    it over. We did this last winter with tomatoes. I'm a
    big fan of Kale, which improves after the frost! Start
    more fragile things outdoors now, then bring 'em in before
    it turns cold. Best of success to you!