container gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by m0424647, Jan 23, 2005.

1. m0424647

m0424647 Well-Known Member

hi all. my current place is very small so most of my gardening will be in containers this year. my plan for green beans (which i plan to plant a lot of--i love green beans!!!) is to plant them in either a large circular or rectangular container 2-3 seeds per container. beside the container i'll put a stake and string the stakes together with some hanging down for the green beans to climb. does this sound feasible to you guys?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It does sound feasible! You can grow pretty much any garden veggie in a container. I'd put a few more bean seeds in that container tho. Just make sure you use a quality mix in the container, not just any old dirt. You might want to check your local library for books on container gardening. Have fun!

3. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

How about putting some marigolds around the front edge of the planter. Could help the beans.

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Just a couple more things to add to the comment about quality soil mix instead of any old dirt:

Make sure the container is BIG enough, or it will dry out so fast that you might as well be chained to the faucet.

The container(s) MUST have drainage!!! Gravel, etc. in the bottom of a closed container doesn't count; the water must be able to drain *out* of the pot completely. Most veggies (and most other plants, too) don't like soggy feet -- roots can drown -- and roots won't grow into that kind of soil, so the root space becomes even more limited. Along the same lines, if you're using a saucer, make sure to empty it after every watering.

Be sure to use a complete fertilizer regularly, as plant nutrients are water soluble . . . and there they go every time you water!

We grow LOTS of different plants in containers and they do well.

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

When I did beans in the container, I put a small nail hole about 2/3 down a small plastic soda pop bottle and planted it up to its neck in the middle of the container. Then every am I would screw the cap off, plop a funnel in and fill the bottle and screw the cap back on. Water would slowly seep into the soil and I never had to wait around to add more water. The beans did great!

6. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Here is a good reference article about vegetable growing in containers.
    http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-336/426-336.html

Hope it helps.

Also you may look at graphing out your container according to sq. foot gardening. and plant according to the graphs. You will get more bang for the area that way.
    Also if you can find someone with chicken compost add it to the soil beans LOVE IT!

Kathy