Container gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cwgrl23, Apr 2, 2004.

1. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

I have access to a large pile of 5 gallon buckets. Any ideas on how to simulate an "Earthbox" with them? I know I need to stack two together but how do I get the water from the bottom bucket up? I know I need to drill holes in the top bucket but do I need to do anything else?

Thanks for the help! :worship:

I have to go wash my buckets now! :haha:

2. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

I know there are smarter people then me on this board! I need some ideas or is poking holes in the bottom of the top bucket enough? Any Ideas?

3. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I'm trying to do square foot container gardening and you made me wonder if it was worth it to try to make an earthbox type planter out of 5 gallon buckets. In my situation, :no: no way. In addition to using styrafoam coolers I'm also using 5 gallon buckets but just drilled holes in the bottom of them. The buckets are white and don't hold heat the way black pots do.

I can't say I'm smarter than you but it seems to me it would be difficult to simulate an earthbox unless you're willing to make at least one 3 or 4 inch by 3 or 4 inch hole in the bottom, drill a bunch of other holes in the bottom and be able to have it fitted inside the other bucket on some kind of supports that are at least 3 or 4 inches high.

There would also have to be weep holes in the side of the bottom bucket so it wouldn't hold too much water. The soil that falls through the large hole is what wicks the water up to the plant. You'd definetly have to have a way to keep that bottom soil in place so it wouldn't mix with the water and get scattered. A piece of 1/4 inch hardware cloth or screen that fits inside the hole in the top bucket and extends to the bottom of the bottom bucket?

Then you'd have to use some kind of piping to funnel water into the bottom bucket and tightly cover the tops of both buckets, with the pipe protruding above the surface or possibly out of the side of the bottom bucket.

For the sake of saving yourself a lot of work, you might try doing one setup to find out if it's worth the work. If not, then you have yourself a bunch of 5 gallon buckets that you can just drill holes in the bottom, cover with some kind of plastic and grow stuff in them that way.

Another thought would be to drill all the holes, cut out the larger hole, forget the supports and pipe and just set the top bucket inside the bottom bucket, with a way to hold the fallen soil in place and water on the top of the soil letting the water collect in the bottom bucket and overflow through the weep holes. I have no idea how efficient doing this without a pipe or plastic covering would be. Hope this helps.

4. Lauriebelle

Lauriebelle Well-Known Member

Check the archives!!! There are alot of earthbox type ideas!

Good Luck ~Laurie