Container gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by countrygrrrl, Jan 31, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I am planning a combination of container and raised bed gardening this year. I'll be putting a heavier emphasis on container, as my raised beds are only getting finished and I have quite a few bugs (and critters) to work out in them.

My question has to do with building your own containers.

I have lots of extra wood and am quite simply completely unwilling to plunk down $$$$ on any kind of large containers. I would like to build at least one fairly large container for the front deck (maybe 3-4-5' x 1-2') and two smaller containers (kind of fair sized, around 2' by 2'} for the front gate.

The problem is, I can hammer and saw :D and manage to get something somewhat presentable ...

... but I am stuck beyond this point. :confused:

Any suggestions? Any hints? I would love to hear from others who have built their own good sized containers - what did you do? What worked? What was a disaster?

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

If its big build it where you want it LOL, I made one once that well lets just say it that when I got done THAT is where it had to stay... It was too heavy to move....Ive used LOTS of scrap wood, everything from 2x6's to 2x4' and even those little 1x1's... Plywood doesnt work real good unless you treat it with water seal... And even then it isnt going to last into the next generation...Ask around and see if anyone is tearing down an old redwood fence or deck.. Those are real gems to find...I basically just nail them together, leaving a small space between the boards in the bottom for water drainage, or you can drill a couple of holes... I like the look of natural wood so I never paint.
    Dont even try using that partical board (compressed board) it will soak water up and turn to mush...
    OH and when youre all done add 2 boards across the bottom for the legs.. that way it wont just sit flat on the ground, and it wont rot out as fast...
    You can make all shapes and sizes, Ivehad a fun time with the kids making "round" ones, you just over lap each layer and give it a slight turn. Nice tall and LOTS of nails Ends up looking like a spiral...

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:) Thanks! They'll be built mostly from treated lumber odds and ends - way too nise and too much to just toss or burn, but not quite enough to build an addition onto this place. :D

I was going to treat with a marine sealant. I guess my biggest concern was whether I needed to put anything else IN them. But sounds like I don't.

And yea, once they get done and filled, I ain't moving them, no way!! :no: :D

4. Mike_and_Tina

Mike_and_Tina Member

The nursery down the street gave me a good idea.

Use those big plastic Rubbermaid storage containers. You know, the big ones
    that stand about knee high and sell for about $3 to $5 at Walmart. Poke a
    couple of holes in the bottom for drainage and voila, you have a large, deep
    container that will not rot. It even has built in handles for carrying.

Mike

5. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I found a guy who is selling 35 and 50 gallon food-grade plastic barrels (formerly Pepsi syrup barrels from the factory) for $10 & $15, and I am going to cut them in half for my containers. They'll have a depth of about 18 inches, I think. They are blue and white respectively, but I'm am hoping they will look a little more attractive with foliage and flowers and rainbow chard in them. I'm turning one into a barrel composter as well. Also, I'm going to use some 3 and 5 gallon buckets which I get free from a Dairy Queen into planting containers as well. Again, they're not the most Sunset magazine attractive, but hey, they're free and they work and can be shifted around easily.

Remember, treated lumber will leach evil chemicals...do you really want that in your food?