consumer advice

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by topside1, Apr 30, 2006.

1. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Afternoon all, I recently hung electric fencing around my property to keep the animals contained. Weeds/grass are going like crazy here in Tennessee and off I went weed whacking under the bottom electric high tensile strand. Let me tell you that job took a while and now 14 days later it's beginning to need a whacking again. I am considering buying the product below to burn the vegetation below the fencing. I feel that @ $91.00 this torch would handle my growth problem quickly and keep it under control for a longer period of time. Has anyone bought this exact model or anything similar. Loved it, hated it, or not worth the money? Any better ideas? Thanks Tennessee John

Red Dragon Model: VT 3-30 C – 500,000 BTU Vapor Torch Kit
    The "Original Red Dragon Torch Kit"

VT 3-30 Vapor Torch Specifications
    Maximum Capacity
    500,000 BTU/hr Normal Operating Pressure
    30 P.S.I. Operating Pressure Range
    5 - 90 P.S.I. Approximate Flame Temperature
    2050 Degrees F Fuel Consumption @ 30 P.S.I.
    10.13 lbs/hr Max Fuel Consumption
    23.3 lbs/hr Fuel Inlet
    1/4" NPT Torch Bell Diameter
    3" Handle Length
    28" Overall Torch Length
    33 1/2"

VT 3-30 Vapor Torch Specifications
    Maximum Capacity
    500,000 BTU/hr Normal Operating Pressure
    30 P.S.I. Operating Pressure Range
    5 - 90 P.S.I. Approximate Flame Temperature
    2050 Degrees F Fuel Consumption @ 30 P.S.I.
    10.13 lbs/hr Max Fuel Consumption
    23.3 lbs/hr Fuel Inlet
    1/4" NPT Torch Bell Diameter
    3" Handle Length
    28" Overall Torch Length
    33 1/2"

2. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

Sounds like an easy way to start a very large fire -- don't think I'd want to use one!

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

3. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I agree, fire would be a very likely hazard. What I do for my electic poultry netting is to weedwhack the line then spray it (very carefully) with Roundup to which I add dormant spray oil for better adhesion. I only need to do this once, sometimes twice depending on when we get rain, each year. Roundup now makes a product with a long lasting inhibitor, but I haven't tried it yet. Properly applied, Roundup is a safe and economical way to control grasses.

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

$91 sounds like more than i would pay. check Harbor freight, they had a hand held brush torch that hooked to a 25lb propane tank that I wanted and I'm sure it was less than that especially on sale.

5. Wildoutdoorsmen

Wildoutdoorsmen Active Member

I built several units in the Monsato plant were Round-Up is made, it is dangerous stuff. They made Agent Orange at this plant also. Don't believe the marketing BS on the product, they have their hands in the USDA's pocket book, so I wouldn't use it.

What I would do is in the spring till both sides of fence, then burn in between tilled paths, this would be the same as a forester, doing a back burn or ditching. Look a how they doing it (Controlled burns) and go for it. Fire isn't that dangerous, if you have a control plan.

6. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Those torches work well, I have one myself, my wife got ours at the local farm store, closer to $60 I think. I actually use it for starting/restarting our outdoor wood furnace and starting brush/scrap wood fires more than weed burning though.

A propane plumbers torch is good for starting the outdoor wood furnace as well, just FYI.

My father-in-law uses roundup and just sprays along the bottom of the fence and around outbuildings to eliminate weed wacking around them.

A good fence charger will not be grounded out by green growth, it will burn off anything in direct contact with the hot wire. You could also add a switch to turn off the bottom wire during the summer, or just disconnect the jumper wire feeding the bottom wire.

I don't know how high you have your bottom wire, ours is about 12 - 16 inches, and it is a ground wire anyhow. That lets the cows and horses stick their heads under it and rub against it while trimming under the bottom strand for us..They quickly learn that the higher strands are still hot and to avoid them, but they can munch on the stuff along the fence under the bottom wire with no problems.

7. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Thanks Hammer4, I appreciate your reply. I will more than likely buy a less expensive version of torch and kill the grass/weeds under my bottom strand (about 8-12 inches off the ground). I raise goats and bottle calves so the bottom strand must remain electrified. My animals are so well trained I'm sure I could just shut it off during the summer but that still doesn't solve the growth problem in fact it would look like a jungle in time. Roundup is an option and in fact I may experiment with the product prior to buying the torch. Hammer4 thanks again for your reply...Tennessee John

8. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I have a red dragon 3-30 torch, rated at 500,000 btu.

I bought it in December to help melt gravel so I could mix and pour concrete. They would deliver 6 yards of gravel, but within a few days the pile would be frozen hard, and each day I needed to shovel so much of it for mixing. So I got the torch.

It worked great, I paid $19.95 at Paris Farm Coop.

:)