Considering buying in West Texas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ladybug, Mar 8, 2004.

1. ladybug

ladybug Missing Home

My husband and I have been considering buying some land in Texas for a future Homestead however the only owner financed land I've been able to find is near El Paso,TX. Would land in that area be at all suitable for growing anything and if not does anyone know of any land companies in Eastern Texas who offer owner financing? I currently live in South Louisiana but I haven't been able to find anything remotely affordable near here(10 acres=$95,000 here). We are also not opposed to living in Arkansas either as we have family there. Thanks in Advance for your help!

2. puffdog

puffdog Active Member

I have a sister in central Tx. She has a hard time with her garden due to the heat and like of rain but she does manage to have one I think Ak would be better for a homestead but I live in Kentucky and it is nice here also.

3. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

I recommend that you look into Arkansas. West Texas is extremely dry. The land around El Paso is much like Arizona-----almost the desert. There are places in Central Texas around Palestine that are nice.

4. TexasMom

TexasMom Member

We live in West Texas - right outside of Midland. The land is desert - takes some getting used to, but has a certain charm of it's own. I'm from South East Texas where anything will grow; it takes lots of effort to keep a garden here. Land prices are relatively cheap though. We bought ours for $3000/acre - owner financed for 10 years at 10%, with $500 down. Not the best deal in the world, but not the worst either.
    Linda

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

There's a reason why land is cheap in West Texas. I'd advise not to buy out there without visiting and having a really good look at the area first.
    mary

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

West Texas is a beautiful place, but it is dry, hot, and did I mention dry? Unless your in a municipal area, or have a river running through your property, water could quickly become an expensive issue.

I'm in East Texas, tween Marshall and Carthage.
    Across from my sisters home, childhood buddy is wanting to sell their homeplace, (his father passed away last month). Said they only wanted 1K/acre for 78 acres, 178K for the land and a house. They've got several trailer houses on it now, bringing in rent each month. Half of it's in pastures. A great bargain if your looking for a land and home. Only reason no local's bought it is the house is tied to the land.

7. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

We looked at this land on the northshore last year. Prices seem reasonable - no money down financing.

http://www.superiorland.com/chappepeela_sale.htm

Lot 3 - if still available is the best one in my opinion. This a small creek at the back. It's out in the sticks and yet you can be in New Orleans in less than 2 hours.

8. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

we just gave up our land in west texas... we had 27 acres... but... it wouldnt support us if we had to live off of it for any length of time... not enough rain... not enough water...

we sign the papers this friday .... for land in what they call the golden crescent in east texas... we are paying 1760 an acre... and are buying 12.5 acres.. the good news is... we can live off this land immediately... it is partially cleared, and we will put in a vegetable garden immediately... as well as there are quite a bit of deer around... so if for any reason, we can hunt...

Thanks to Rose here on this board, she put us in touch with this land... and we were fortunate enough.. the previous owners had already dug a well and put in the electric, the septic will start sometime next week after we sign and the mobile we are buying will go in before the end of the month...

normal pricing in this area we bought is running 2000 to 2500 an acre it seems and some higher.. but it is very rural and beautiful..

AND... we are 100 miles from 3 major cities, houston, san antonio and austin.. so we have our pick instead of being locked into one area, even though we will continue to work in houston for a while and commute to our new home and property on weekends and vacation time ... we are fortunate in that area also as our job provides us with a rent free apt in the city...

As much as I love west texas ... if you are looking to be able to support yourself as well as animals, etc, east texas is your better bet.

OH.. and one of my dear friends just bought a home and 10 acres near lake livingston ... she is paying 80K for that land and home... so.. you just need to look... it is out there...

Lynn in Texas

9. The state of Texas is considering selling ground water, from state lands in west Texas, to California. It is under review, but if it happens, dry west Texas will become even drier.

10. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

$3k an acre! You've been ripped off. You can find land that's $150 per acre and up....usually $500 per acre. I can't believe $3k per acre.....do you live in close to a big city? If so, that would explain quite a bit.

About E. Texas...I would highly recommend it, however, jobs are hard to find. Low paying jobs are outta there..anything that's above $7 an hour is considered very good pay. Too many places won't give you a raise because they don't get enough business to be able to pay you more so keep that in mind. BUT land is excellent for growing anything (you will have to worry about nematodes though..they eat thru roots in no time) and you can graze ALOT of more critters on your land because it grows much more grass and has lots of water compared to W. Texas plus it's closer to where you are from in S. Louisiana.

Ted

11. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Hi, ladybug,
    My mom was from West Texas and my dad from East Texas so I know both worlds. East Texas or Arkansas is your best bet. West Texas has a problem with oil leaking into the water table. My grandma had a water well that she had to give up because of the oil that leaked into the water table her well tapped into. Since there are wells in East Texas too, be careful to check it out there as well.
    If you're looking for owner financing, check out this website:
    www.unitedcountry.com and look at what they have to offer in the various areas you're interested in, including Louisiana. What's online is just representative. You can contact the realtors directly to get a better idea of what all is available.
    Good luck! Judi :yeeha:

12. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

My Daddy is from Morton, TX. Thats almost in new mexico. I remember as a kid visiting Grandma and playing in the sand chasing Horned toads. (round lizards)
    My Daddy used to pick cotton out there and said it's as close to hell as you can get on earth. I personally wouldn't live any place further west than Ft. Worth or Austin. Yep, East texas is beautiful. And wet!

13. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Doing the happy dance for Lynn (havelostmywings) and her hubby. :D

It's a lovely spot. You will enjoy it muchly.

Huggs,
    Rose

14. TexasMom

TexasMom Member

That's kind of funny, and kind of true too! But like I said, there is a certain appeal to this area and particularly these people. Things run a little slower out here.

My mother was not the type to pass out advice. It's funny that one of the few things my sister and I both remember her telling us was "What ever you do, where ever you go, don't move to West Texas". Odd though - we both wound up out here!

15. Zack

Zack Well-Known Member

Ladybug
    La, Ms, Al, , have some of the cheapest land available. I have a cousin in south Ms that has been trying to sell 6ac pasture with a small pond and livable house, 30x30 shed for 45K cash.
    He recently hired a realtor though and don’t know if that is still the price.
    Look harder as far from the citys as you can. I would not live in El paso.

This may help

www.mdac.state.ms.us/Library/Published/MarketBulletin/MarketBulletin.asp

www.ldaf.state.la.us/divisions/marketing/marketbulletin/on-line-issues.asp

16. ladybug

ladybug Missing Home

Thanks everyone for all the great information! If anyone happens to come across any more land links please let me know! Thanks again!

Ladybug :D