Considering Bacon and Eggs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Steve13, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Steve13

Steve13 Well-Known Member

Okay, I have gotten some chickens and ducks this spring. The coop and pen it all set up and ready to go. Now I have been debating on getting a couple of hogs. I have around 5 acres to work with. What kind of start up cost is there in raising pigs? Totally new to this and need to know what all to consider and just how much is a little pig cost these days.

2. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I just spent $75 each for weaned piglets, about 20lbs each. I know they are much cheaper in other areas. I used hog panels to keep our first few pigs - now I have electric. Of all our meat projects - we were the most hesitant about the pigs. Now, we would never be without them. When we are 'pigless' we feel terrible wasting those scraps on the chickens!

niki

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Go round to the local vegetable markets and ask for the stuff they throw out.

4. theporkstork

theporkstork Well-Known Member

Steve, the feeder pig prices in Illinois are running around $1.00/lb. at the sale barns. Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply carry all of the necessary equipment and fencing for making a pen. If you choose to keep them "confined", an area with 144 square feet is more than ample for 2 animals. If you buy piglets that weigh around 40 pounds each, you will want to feed them a 16% protein diet for the time it takes them to triple their weight, then drop to 13% protein until they are ready for slaughter. Let me know where you are located in Illinois and I might be able to direct you as to where you can locate some animals.

5. Steve13

Steve13 Well-Known Member

Porkstork I PM'ed you my location and some additional questions. Thanks

6. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Feeder pigs in N wisconsin also run around $1/ lb. You should be able to raise two with a minimal investment. Some type of minimal shelter from sun and rain, and a woven wire pen for exercise would suffice for feeder pigs. You can use any variety of inexpensive tubs or trough for feed & water. The grain will be your biggest expense, but as they get larger you can offset this cost some by giving them green grass from your 5 acres or vegetable matter from garden, etc. as part of their diet. They grow fast, so if you start now they would be in your freezer before next winter hits.