Considering an Auction...

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Terry W, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Okay, here it is-- the wether is still out in the woods, running with does-- and my ram is VERY lonely. I am seriously cionsidering going to an aution next week and getting a ewe for him-- both to keep him company and to make my stupid brother happy ( make a lamb to eat!)

now, I will be taking an Amish neighbor with me, to help me learn about the individual "players' at the site-- which sellers to stay away from, etc..

The question really is--My ram is a hair sheep-- and I suppose I will be buying a wooled breed--If whatever iIbuy is not as clean as I would like, Would shearing her using a "comb" to leave a fair amount of wool behind be difficult? I am thinking of using a blocking comb that is thick to leave about an inch of wool.

Quarantine-- how far apart is far enough? Will the visual contact be enough to improve my Ram's mood? I will be checking my potential purchases for obvious signs of poor health before I start the bid...but I do not want to risk infecting my Ram with something potentially life thrreatening-- his genetics are important to the consortium... I am thinking a full month of quarantine to be safe, then a wall/ gate /fence separation time to permit them to get used to each other before putting them together.

I have to get this boy a buddy--he does not seem to be eating (no weight loss, though) and he is too focused on me-- my comings and goings...

2. sheepish

sheepish Well-Known Member Supporter

I only send poor quality ewes to the auction. The ones that go have not lambed this year, not raised a good number of quality lambs, have poor udders, etc.

The lambs I send also are the bottom of the barrel. Good to eat, but not good for reproducing.

Other people send sick animals to auction lots. It is a good place to pick up disease.

I would never bring an animal onto my farm from an unknown source, that has been mixed with animals of unknown source.

3. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

I agree with sheepish I wouldn't buy from an auction. Surely there must be someone in your general area willing to sell you a ewe. If you merely want the lambs for meat any ewe will do! If he's a hair sheep and you don't want to hassle with shearing a single ewe find another hair sheep. Or if you just really want a compainion for him how about a(nother) wether? Sheep don't like to be alone. so when you are keeping them seperated try to let them see each other, it may keep them calm. Best wishes.