Considerations on housing goats and minis

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kerrinatoz, Dec 4, 2006.

1. kerrinatoz

kerrinatoz Well-Known Member

Hi I'm new to the group and will be taking delivery on two 18 month Nigerian does this weekend.We are very excited! We had also planned to have a mini horse as well. Since these are both small breeds, would there be any potential problems on having them be stall buddies? I have a horse background so taking on the mini would not be a new challenge for me. Goats however are a bit of a new world. I have checked with my vet and there are no health considerations, so this leaves behavior. The does are bomb proof, real sweet animals excellent breeding and have been buddies since very young. The mini would be a cart horse and an overall pet. I was thinking we should bring them all home around the same time for company. I am willing to consider a yearling if it would be better or would it be best to get an more experienced animal? Would it make any difference on how they get along? Regardless, I do seem to have a knack for picking out "sweet" animals. So I do know that disposition would weigh heavily on this issue. I do have two minis in mind of course, both needing homes very soon. (one adult and one a yearling). Anyway, any thoughts on this subject would really be helpful. Thanks!

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Well, goats have a long history of being stall buddies for racehorses. In fact, our next-door neighbour but one has a horse and a goat together.

I'm sure that if they're introduced carefully, you wouldn't have any problem. Just keep a real close eye on them for the first little while.

I took one of my goats out into the horse pasture, back in the spring. She stood up on her hind legs and my horse took it as a challenge and went for her - so you do have to be careful!

3. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Yes, in fact, rumor has it that the phrase "got your goat" comes from a practice of taking the racehorse's companion goat just before the race so the horse would be too upset to do well!
    I've known pygmy goats and big warmblood horses to live perfectly side by side. Just watch them for a while to make sure and you should be fine.
    ~Carrie C.

4. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

I have a mini and fainting goats. This mare gets along really well with the goats and prefers to graze with them. The goats think she's a really funny looking goat and not too sure how much they want to do with her!

I would make sure you seperate them during feeding time. This is the only time I see any aggression between my goats and my full size horses.

Andrea

5. kerrinatoz

kerrinatoz Well-Known Member

ahh, well it seems that it would be wisest to settle the goats first then? Get them used to their new home then find a calmer mini to be pasture buddies with during the warmer months, does this sound about right?